Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tubal Ligation: Is This A Sin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Pandy

Pandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
First of all, I will explain what tubal ligation is. It’s a surgical procedure for sterilization in which a woman’s fallopian tubes are clamped and blocked, or severed and sealed, either method of which prevents eggs from reaching the uterus for fertilization.

I know the word of God in Genesis 9:7 says “As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.” However, things have changed a lot since the creation of the world. There is a lot of hunger in the world, and sometimes a humble mother who has 4 or 5 children has to work very hard along with her husband in order to give her children a good start in life. They will certainly keep on being together as they love each other, but they consider it would not be good to have any more children, as they are too poor and can hardly raise the ones they already have, so the only option they have is a surgery not to have more babies.

I know some religions disagree with this practice, but I think it’s not a bad idea at all since there are people who already have several children and don’t have the economic resources to support other children, apart from the ones they already have. Do you think people who do this are against God? Let me know your point of view. Do you agree or disagree with this?

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand
Rather than God seeing this as a sin, I should imagine He would see it as a virtue of the woman who has it done. I am sure there are many people who want as many children as they can have ~ not afford, and by doing this they are giving the ones they already have a better chance.

When my children were young I had little money and even then a can of "Spam" which was known as the poor man's ham in those days was a treat for us and we only had two children!
If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain
I say it's a sin to bring more children into the world than you can provide for and love, so no, I don't think sterilisation is a sin at all. These days, producing a large family is downright irresponsible, and I can't see a loving, benevolent God frowning on people who are practical enough to limit their families. The world is a lot more heavily populated than in Biblical times, and attitudes have changed - mostly for the better.
Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

ghanashyam

ghanashyam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
I have not across any such commands delivered in holy books of Hinduism. There is nothing wrong in birth control even if the parents can afford it. A woman is not a baby producing machine. She will lose her good health. Certainly God must have said something to humans in your books to use the brains to understand his commands.

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
I don't know whether it's a sin or not - in my opinion it shouldn't be - but I think that it's just wrong. Why choose such an permanent solution? Wouldn't it be easier to use regular contarception, like condoms for example?

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

unarmedthinker

unarmedthinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts
I do not think tubal ligation is a sin. Yes, the bible states we should multiply but it doen't explicitly say tubal ligation is a sin.

I agree with you, I don't think there is anything wrong with tubal ligation if a loving couple decide they no longer want children, for whatever reason. The religious people who are outraged about issues like this need to come out of their cave and live in the real-world.

gina121

gina121

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLondon
No, I don’t think people who opt for tubal ligation are going against God. To me, it is just another contraceptive option and is probably favorable because it does away with having to remember to take the Pill,keep track of dates in the NFP method, etc. The fact that it is possible to reverse the surgery at some point is actually something positive going for it, as it shows that the couple are open to having more children in future

ongoing

ongoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I don't think it's a sin, but it isn't something I would do. I'm against any surgery that isn't medically necessary, like fixing a gunshot wound or something like that.

Then again, abortion is also a surgery, and a particularly unpleasant one. I'd think there were more reasonable options for preventing pregnancy than having your tubes tied, but if someone feels it's necessary for them, I don't judge them. It just seems pretty intense when you could just use some other form of birth control or avoid sex during ovulation.

Pandy

Pandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I don't know whether it's a sin or not - in my opinion it shouldn't be - but I think that it's just wrong. Why choose such an permanent solution? Wouldn't it be easier to use regular contarception, like condoms for example?

The problem is that sometimes a couple has already several children, and they are sure they don't want to have more because they can't support them anymore; and if they already know this is what they want, it's not necessary to have to take birth-control pills or any other methods of contraception having to spend money every month or going through side effects when they can take a decision and don't have to worry anymore about it. Besides, everybody knows methods of contraception are not a 100% effective, and many women have got pregnant while using them.

MaryBeth

MaryBeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationEarth
I don't think God meant - multiply 'irresponsibly'. I think He wanted children to be a blessing, not a burden. And I don't think He wanted us to be burdened with more children than we can afford or handle. A decision such as tubal ligation has to be between the woman (and couple) and God. Even though different religions has different 'lines in the sand' as to what they believe is acceptible, it is God that we need to find our peace with and are answerable to, not religion or a church. I do have my own 'line in the sand' on certain issues, but I think God considers each person and situation to be unique. I feel that is a question to ask God. I know that He will offer you the best answer. How will you know His answer? When you find inner peace to your situation.

joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Permanent birth control such as tubal ligation or vasectomy is such a controversial topic simply because the Bible does not condone or condemn its use. And simply because these kind of procedures were still unknown in the Bible times.

I think permanent birth control such as this may be appropriate to couples who fells they should not have any more children. Sometimes, there may be other reasons to consider like health and financial aspect of raising a child. I think the Bible does not forbid birth control (either temporary or permanent), therefore it should not be argued that it is wrong.

Jessi

Jessi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I don't think it is.

People who disagree with temporary forms of birth control would surely disagree with this. Many people even disagree with "natural family planning" like the pull-out 'method' because it could intentionally prevent a pregnancy from occurring.

As Sandra said, though, is it more sinful to do that.... or to bring children into the world that you can't give the best life within your financial means?

Dragonessnix

Dragonessnix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

First of all, I will explain what tubal ligation is. It’s a surgical procedure for sterilization in which a woman’s fallopian tubes are clamped and blocked, or severed and sealed, either method of which prevents eggs from reaching the uterus for fertilization.

I know the word of God in Genesis 9:7 says “As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.” However, things have changed a lot since the creation of the world. There is a lot of hunger in the world, and sometimes a humble mother who has 4 or 5 children has to work very hard along with her husband in order to give her children a good start in life. They will certainly keep on being together as they love each other, but they consider it would not be good to have any more children, as they are too poor and can hardly raise the ones they already have, so the only option they have is a surgery not to have more babies.

I know some religions disagree with this practice, but I think it’s not a bad idea at all since there are people who already have several children and don’t have the economic resources to support other children, apart from the ones they already have. Do you think people who do this are against God? Let me know your point of view. Do you agree or disagree with this?

I got my tubes tied three years ago after my son was born. I have 3 children. I had my tubes tied because I have a lung condition, and when I get pregnant it puts a real strain on my body. So I felt that it was my time to stop having children because by the third pregnancy I was struggling. Afterwards though I fell into deep depression because I thought I sinned by getting them tied.

I struggled with this for a while and every once in a while I still get on myself about it. I asked for forgiveness and I know if it is Gods will for me to have more children, he will make it happen.
Robin M Hoopes

Parker

Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Tubal ligation is much more effective. Condoms break. It's still possible to get pregnant on the pill even if you remember to take it consistently.

I also don't consider it to be a sin.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." --Lao Tzu

Jessi

Jessi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

I got my tubes tied three years ago after my son was born. I have 3 children. I had my tubes tied because I have a lung condition, and when I get pregnant it puts a real strain on my body. So I felt that it was my time to stop having children because by the third pregnancy I was struggling. Afterwards though I fell into deep depression because I thought I sinned by getting them tied.

I struggled with this for a while and every once in a while I still get on myself about it. I asked for forgiveness and I know if it is Gods will for me to have more children, he will make it happen.

First of all, hugs.

For what it's worth, though, I think you made the right decision, despite you not liking the side effects. What would have happened if you got pregnant again and this time the complications killed you, leaving your partner and children alone and suffering? Or if the baby couldn't be healthy because of the strain and stress it put on your body next time? It makes it harder to be a great mother if you end up hurting yourself even more, ya know?

Anna Usorova

Anna Usorova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
I feel that when a woman or a husband and wife decide on something like this it should never be considered a sin. I feel that it is their choice and the woman's right to decide whether she wants more children or does not. Therefore God should not be involved in this decision making process and no one should call this a sin either.

ongoing

ongoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

The problem is that sometimes a couple has already several children, and they are sure they don't want to have more because they can't support them anymore; and if they already know this is what they want, it's not necessary to have to take birth-control pills or any other methods of contraception having to spend money every month or going through side effects when they can take a decision and don't have to worry anymore about it. Besides, everybody knows methods of contraception are not a 100% effective, and many women have got pregnant while using them.

These are all good points, however, I feel that in this case, if the woman is 1/2 of a couple, the man should be the one to get "tied." A vasectomy is far less invasive and dangerous a surgery than a tubal ligation.

AndroidGirl89

AndroidGirl89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't think its a sin- but I know that personally I would not do it. I am trusting God to let me get pregnant if it is His will (we want more kids) and if he doesn't want me to have more kids- then he will close my womb.

I know there are several times talked about in the Bible where God opened or closed a woman's womb- I think he can do that today as well if it is his will. However, I do not think its a sin for someone to decide tubal ligation is for them.

MercyL

MercyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

The quote from Genesis is immaterial. It icame before Christ. Christians follow the teachings of Christ and Christ did not address tubal ligations and birth control, as far as I know.

There is no sin in having a tubal ligation.

Language is the fabric of reality.

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
It is tricky since it similar to vasectomy. I believe the bottom line here is one's motivation since that is what will bring guilt and one this feeling gets in then there is sin. I think I'd like to put it that so long as there is guilt there is sin!

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users