Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Lord Is My Shepherd I Shall Not Want

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

dashboardc33

dashboardc33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
"The Lord is My Shepherd I Shall Not Want"..... What does this mean exactly? I can't help but notice that it is written on our stained glass right in the front of our church. I have read it over and over during church and I still do not understand the verse. Why should we not want the Lord? If someone could transcribe it for me, that would be awesome!

brokenblade

brokenblade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
I could be wrong. I can tell you what it means to me. It is like saying, God provides everything I need. My desires, etc. should be to him. This is the best I could do. I'm really not with it today.

Pandy

Pandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
This is what I understand: The Lord leads us and guides us just as a shepherd leads his sheep through the right path, just as a shepherd looks after his sheep, provides them with food and makes sure they are safe and sound, so we should not need anything else than God because he provides us with everything we need.

We pray to him and he answers our prayers in due time. When someone does something good for us, this is an answer to our prayers. God takes care of us, and if we have his love we have everything. :)

dashboardc33

dashboardc33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. So really, instead of needing him, we already have what we need so there is nothing more to need. It makes sense now but maybe they should have worded that verse differently. Perhaps something like, "The Lord is my shepherd I shall have faith in", or something like that. Anyways, now I know what it means next time I am in church and see this up in the front. Thanks again :)

Wisefirst

Wisefirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

This is what I understand: The Lord leads us and guides us just as a shepherd leads his sheep through the right path, just as a shepherd looks after his sheep, provides them with food and makes sure they are safe and sound, so we should not need anything else than God because he provides us with everything we need.

We pray to him and he answers our prayers in due time. When someone does something good for us, this is an answer to our prayers. God takes care of us, and if we have his love we have everything. :)

I really like your post and I totally agree with it. I just want to add that if the Lord is our shepherd and he satisfies our needs, then we shouldn't hear nor follow the voice of the enemy (Satan) when we are tempted to do something wrong just to make more money or to please our flesh with our selfish desires out of God's will for us. If he is our shepherd, then we shouldn't trust our money, strength, jobs, or any other types of material thing without recognizing that everything comes from him.

liowkc

liowkc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
This is one of the cornerstone of Christianity with Christ as the leader and the rest as faithful followers. For me, I find this very distasteful as I do not want to be any one's sheep.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain

This is one of the cornerstone of Christianity with Christ as the leader and the rest as faithful followers. For me, I find this very distasteful as I do not want to be any one's sheep.

Liowkc, the shepherd is just a metaphor - we are not sheep at all. It takes a special person to be a shepherd, because they are out in all weathers and situations, looking after a flock who may not always want to do the right thing. It can be a pretty thankless task, because sheep can be silly, stubborn creatures, who give shepherds a lot of problems when all they want is to do what's best for their flock. Doesn't that sound pretty much like God and the rest of us? There's nothing distasteful about it, but there is a lot of truth in it.

Dashboard, you will understand this beautiful quote better if you punctuate it like this:

The Lord is my shepherd. (pause) I shall not want.

This means that as long as the Lord is watching over you, you will not go short of the important things in life. In its old-fashioned meaning, 'want' could also be used as an expression of lacking something fundamental, so in this context, 'I shall not want' is not the opposite of desiring something, it's saying that you have everything you need when you follow the Lord.
Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

Esperahol

Esperahol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You
It isn't one line dear. I suppose the medium used simply failed to take that into account, but - "The lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want." or even "The lord is my Shepherd (comma) I shall not want." Either way you are not saying you don't want the Lord, you are saying that because of His efforts you want for nothing. He leads you to green pastures and clean waters. He delivers you from evil. He rises you to a place of glory, and even through you walk through the greatest dangers you have no need to fear.

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand

Liowkc, the shepherd is just a metaphor - we are not sheep at all. It takes a special person to be a shepherd, because they are out in all weathers and situations, looking after a flock who may not always want to do the right thing. It can be a pretty thankless task, because sheep can be silly, stubborn creatures, who give shepherds a lot of problems when all they want is to do what's best for their flock. Doesn't that sound pretty much like God and the rest of us? There's nothing distasteful about it, but there is a lot of truth in it.

Dashboard, you will understand this beautiful quote better if you punctuate it like this:

The Lord is my shepherd. (pause) I shall not want.

This means that as long as the Lord is watching over you, you will not go short of the important things in life. In its old-fashioned meaning, 'want' could also be used as an expression of lacking something fundamental, so in this context, 'I shall not want' is not the opposite of desiring something, it's saying that you have everything you need when you follow the Lord.

"The Lord is my shephard, I shall not want (desire or need anything else)"
If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

maddie

maddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
The name of God El Shaddai means all sufficient one.. This is what we say when we say the 23 rd Psalm. We say God you are my provider and you are all sufficient. I do not want anything beside you.. You are my everything.. you are my all in all.
This is such a wonderful affirmation of who God is and how he cares for you..
I love verse 6 ..It is a personal affirmation Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.. and I shall live in the house of the Lord forever.

MaryBeth

MaryBeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationEarth
The word 'want' is an old-fashioned word and it has a different meaning than how we understand it today. It really means 'I shall not lack' so, in Ps. 23, the word 'want' really means 'lack'.

If you look up different Bible versions, you shall see that the old-fashioned word 'want' really means 'lack'. http://bible.cc/psalms/23-1.htm

King James Bible
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

King James 2000 Bible
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not lack.

The purpose of the different Bible versions is to be able to understand the Bible in today's language. Also, to be able to understand the Bible a deeper, broader and more profound way. I hope this helps you understand Psalm 23 in a more meaningful way for you.

Alma

Alma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
What I understand from these scriptures is that if we decide to follow God as if He was our shepherd, He promises to take care of us in every way and provide our every need.
If you continue to read Psalm 23:2-6 it mentions that He will protect us from harm and give us purpose in life.
Lastly, God will bless us abundantly and provide us with grace.

taskeinc

taskeinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
Psalm 23 is a nice, sacred passage, that many Christians identify with. It's one of the few safe, relatively logical scriptures in the Bible. However, one has to be careful not to harbor the sheep's mentality that is prevalent throughout the world.

The primary reason 300 men are able to control 7.5 billion people is because over 6.5 to 7 billion people actually harbor a sheep's mentality. Over 90% of the people on this planet are followers to some degree.

One affirmation that I have embedded into the psyche of my children, over the past decade, is that they are, "leaders and not followers."

I will not knock or be critical of the lovely Psalms 23, but be careful that you're not teaching your children how to be loyal followers.

This is why we have so many young men and women, with good, moral intentions, signing up for War, thinking they are "protecting our borders."

Sept 11, 2001 inspired many young Americans to enlist in the military. Obviously, these young people meant well. However, after the smoke cleared, and the egregious discovery that 9/11 was an inside job, the myriad young people who enlisted were unfortunately, misguided sheep. They were injudicious lambs that happened to be following the most evil of shepherds. I'm not referring to the mythical Satan, because this character is part of the colossal ruse, I'm speaking of the malevolent shepherd that is referred to as the American Government.

AmazingUniverse.info

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Liowkc, the shepherd is just a metaphor - we are not sheep at all.

Actually, we are. Or do you not recall all of the stories of how our shepherd has tried to cull the herd when it acted in ways that He did not like?

Gamrpro

Gamrpro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's an interesting interpretation Pandy. I think you're right though. I also, didn't understand what the verse meant even though I really liked that verse... Maybe I liked it because it was a puzzle to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users