Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Agnostics And Death

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

satishstephens

satishstephens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Every religion has an evaluation for death right? Be it the soul, be it afterlife but an explanation or hypothesis is there. But what about agnostics? What do they think happens to someone after they die?

themdno

themdno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Agnosticism is not technically a religion, it's more like the lack of a religion. Every Agnostic has their own view point, there is no laid out definition of what we believe, other than 'We can't prove or disprove any religion'.

Personally, I am inclined to believe that nothing happens when we die. We simply cease to be. Our energy dissipates, and our memories fade, just as our consciousness will, too. I don't believe we continue on, but I really don't know either way.

HiEv

HiEv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationCounter-Earth

Agnosticism is not technically a religion, it's more like the lack of a religion. Every Agnostic has their own view point, there is no laid out definition of what we believe, other than 'We can't prove or disprove any religion'.

Well, yes, agnosticism is not a religion, however that does not mean that agnostics can't be religious.

Agnosticism is simply the belief that we don't and can't know whether gods exist for certain. You can be an agnostic atheist, an agnostic Christian, or an agnostic just about anything else. It's a statement about what you think we can know about gods, not a statement of what you believe.

So if you want to know what someone believes will happen to them after they die, then that has little or nothing to do with their agnosticism.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationOntario
I also just believe that nothing happens when we die. We just cease to exist on a physical and spiritual level. I do certainly think heaven is a much more comforting option.

satishstephens

satishstephens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Well, yes, agnosticism is not a religion, however that does not mean that agnostics can't be religious.

Agnosticism is simply the belief that we don't and can't know whether gods exist for certain. You can be an agnostic atheist, an agnostic Christian, or an agnostic just about anything else. It's a statement about what you think we can know about gods, not a statement of what you believe.

So if you want to know what someone believes will happen to them after they die, then that has little or nothing to do with their agnosticism.

But isn't believing in something, and following the belief that you harbor within you the characteristics of a religion? What is a religion? It is just a belief that can turn you from one belief and is able to make you believe in the other. How can you say then that agnostism is not a religion?

Bloomatic

Bloomatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
I think the attitude towards death is independent of religious belief. True, many religions have an established idea about life after death, the soul and other issues, but I think regardless of that, every single person takes a position in front of a natural phenomenon as the death. There are many factors involved in the construction of this idea: religious education, emotional growth, working life, building a family, etc. I think it is impossible to link a religious idea with a general thought about death, beyond certain groups share common ideas about that.

HiEv

HiEv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationCounter-Earth

But isn't believing in something, and following the belief that you harbor within you the characteristics of a religion? What is a religion? It is just a belief that can turn you from one belief and is able to make you believe in the other. How can you say then that agnostism is not a religion?

If that's your definition of "religion", then that's the most watered down and worthless definition for it that I've ever heard.

By that definition, me believing that I like ham and cheese sandwiches and therefore eating them is a religion. (I think I shall practice that "religion" with some soup later tonight. ;) )

This is why people use far more useful definitions of the word "religion":
  • a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
  • a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
"Agnosticism" fits neither of those categories, nor any of the other standard definitions of the term "religion" as we're discussing it.

So, no, agnosticism is not a religion by any reasonable standard.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

robertadico

robertadico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
The agnostic view of death can be very different, since the agnostics believe there is something greater at work in the world. Some parts of the community might believe in some form of afterlife, while other parts might not. Many that I have talked to are more likely to look at the idea of reincarnation since the scientific idea of energy cannot not be created or destroyed, but merely altered in form. The main thing to remember with the agnostic community is that each person is making that decision for him/herself. The agnostic mind set is typically something may or may not exist that is greater then man itself, and can manipulate on the level of a god or god like figure.However, the agnostic does not wish to place a label or idea upon that being or beings because how could they possibly know what is right or wrong biased on their current level of existence. A higher being or beings may or may not exist, but who are they to say. That extends into the idea of an afterlife, it may or may not exist but the agnostic idea is that they are not in a position to say one way or the other on the issue.

significance

seotut

seotut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Agnostics, by definition of the term, are not sure what comes after death.

HiEv

HiEv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationCounter-Earth

Agnostics, by definition of the term, are not sure what comes after death.

No. Agnostics don't know if gods exist or if it's possible to know if gods exist. What they know or believe about an afterlife is a completely separate issue.

And yes, it is possible to not believe in gods but believe in some sort of afterlife or reincarnation.

Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
I believe there is something after this physical life, and I base it on the Principle that nothing ever ceases, energy cannot be destroyed. Death is not an end, rather it is a transformation.

Etu Malku IIIĀ° MHD

Herald of the Dawn

tajnz

tajnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I'm agnostic and am content to admit that I simply don't know what will happy after I die. I don't think any of us really do, there are so many possibilities. I'd like to think some part of people lives on ... perhaps there isn't a heaven but our energy/spirit still exists.. maybe even in another form e.g reincarnation. Anything is possible.

Eglaelin

Eglaelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I believe that the part that make up me will eventually make up another life somewhere. My mind and my consciousness will die, but my body will become part of something else. If I get my fondest wish I will be cremated and have my remains launched into the sun where the component particles will spread out into the universe on the solar winds. However, that will just be my particles and nothing else. The mind that I am will cease to be.

LarryTalks

LarryTalks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Never really thought about it. I'm going with pure darkness. As if you went to sleep and didn't wake up without having any form of dream.

MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVirtual World

Agree, and this is the great think about agnosticism, I think that we were given with freewill to decide on our own what is good or what is bad and develop our theories about things that we cannot prove, in example, the Bible, which is not the work of God Jesus, but a recap written by their followers many years the facts happened so the accuracy of what is read there depends too much on how god their memory served to them.

i believe that there is life after dead and that the spirit stays in this world but in a different existential plane until its his or her time to return in a physical body to continue the evolution process called reincarnation.

LevelPlatForum, bringing your life up to a new level!

liowkc

liowkc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
I am an agnostic but really do not know what happens after death. I don't know and I don't really care; there is simply too much things to do and worry about on this earth.

dagscot

dagscot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSanta Paula, CA USA
I tend to believe that there is a life after death, or some other form of existence at any rate. Sure, it makes sense that ancient man would've invented afterlife as a comforting alternative to us just winking out into darkness. That has a logic to it but I think that the reality is more like we become part of a mass of energy that is all of previous life, or that we return to earth, to begin anew.

jaydonc

jaydonc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I do not know in the way of Agnostics but according to my religion after death the person will go hell or heaven.

YamiPrem

YamiPrem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationUK

Agree, and this is the great think about agnosticism, I think that we were given with freewill to decide on our own what is good or what is bad and develop our theories about things that we cannot prove, in example, the Bible, which is not the work of God Jesus, but a recap written by their followers many years the facts happened so the accuracy of what is read there depends too much on how god their memory served to them.

Note, agnosticism does not say anything about one's belief, but instead it indicates what they claim to know. I am an agnostic atheist as I do not believe in any form of a supernatural divine being (theism) and also do not think any exist (gnosticism) - no evidence and all.

Also, I would not entirely agree with you having "freewill to decide the good and bad" just because you're an agnostic. Good and bad are subjective to each individual for starters and gnostics too claim to have been able to decide from the good and the bad.

i believe that there is life after dead and that the spirit stays in this world but in a different existential plane until its his or her time to return in a physical body to continue the evolution process called reincarnation.

Makes me wonder, why don't you believe in a supreme being then? :huh:
I am a non-believer in anything supernatural.

omarfw

omarfw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
Agnosticism does not have it's own separate idea on what happens after death because agnosticism is not a belief. It is a stance. You can't be agnostic without being either atheist or theist also. And if anything, the only answer any agnostic would give to this question would be "I don't know".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users