Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Teacher Is Always Quiet During A Test...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationNYC
Love this. Thoughts?
Posted Image

ghanashyam

ghanashyam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
No, the teacher is not quite, I can imagine me whispering in my ears " Religion is a practice what you have read in holy books" I can imagine him patting on back,when I perform the good jobs.

Treighsie

Treighsie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I think that's a cool statement. Yes, He teaches us. He helps us. He guides us. I would love to have a more concrete showing, telling, teaching... but I don't. He's often silent for me. I still look to Him. I think this is a great comment.

blurinoctober

blurinoctober

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I've never heard it worded as such, but I do like that sentiment! It's a great metaphor for how most Christians see God, it explains it much easier than any other way I've heard.

liowkc

liowkc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
A very nice analogy about how God's presence despite his apparent absence. Here's my tongue in cheek contribution: the teacher is quiet because he does not know the answer. Go ponder.

Insodoing

Insodoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
I think that sometimes God can seem to be quiet when one is being tested. It is up to us, a lot of times, to really try our best, and prayerfully find and work towards a solution to our problem. God is not going to solve it for us completely unless our hands are just completely tied and there is nothing more that we can do. or think to do. He probably wants to see what we are made of.
This reminds me of the story of God telling Abraham to offer his son Isaac for an offering. What would Abraham do? Freak out? Go crazy? or would he follow instructions to the test?

I have gone through many situations where I felt that God was not answering my prayers, but looking back on it, I realize that there was so much more that I could have done in certain situations, instead of sitting around waiting for God to fix everything.
There are many lessons to be learned in tests.

dbersales

dbersales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Here is how the bible would have stated the above in its own words. It does say that for a certain time, our teachers will be hidden but not forever (a reference to quietness during the test?). But later on those teachers will show themselves and instruct us in the way we should go.

Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them.Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”
Isaiah 30:20-21

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
I see it as a cop out. This "test" has been going on for a few thousand years now. And teachers are not quiet during a test. I don't know how many times I've been taking a test and have asked the teacher for clarification. At the very lease, the teacher will say "Sorry, can't answer that".

If God wants to be worshipped as a god, He should actually act like a God. It's a tough road to walk, though. If He does too much, people will depends on Him constantly. If He doesn't do enough, people lose hope. I think it's fairly obvious that people are losing hope these days. Time for another burning bush or something.

maddie

maddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
I like that .. He is quiet but not unconcerned, he is silent but not uncaring.. he only remains silent until you have done your part and is ready to do his part.. correction / reward. Great analogy.. You just got me going here... here is some great food for thought.

Insodoing

Insodoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I like that .. He is quiet but not unconcerned, he is silent but not uncaring.. he only remains silent until you have done your part and is ready to do his part.. correction / reward. Great analogy.. You just got me going here... here is some great food for thought.

I like this. He is silent until you have done your part. Many people want God to show up, when they know good and well that they have not done their part.

It is written that a parent should correct a child, and not give in because of the child's crying. I have gone through this. I have cried out to God, oh! the tears, you have never seen so many tears! lol (I can laugh about it now, not so back then).
There were things that I had to do, but because I was so caught up in my non-belief, my lack of faith lulled me into inactivity. I have heard it said that, 'we don't wait on Him, He waits on us.'

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

A teacher that refuses to answer questions is a pretty poor teacher, if you ask me.

BFinlayson

BFinlayson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Great thought :) I guess you learn best when someone guides you and lets you figure it out for yourself, like a building with scaffolding, God puts up the scaffolding as you go in the place to show you where to build and for safety but you have to build it yourself. As opposesed to Him giving us all the answers at once, not explaining them and expecting us to remember them all, like how in school you just had to recite timestables over and over again till you got it. This first way ends up with a much deeper understanding that is more likely to last.

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Great thought :) I guess you learn best when someone guides you and lets you figure it out for yourself, like a building with scaffolding, God puts up the scaffolding as you go in the place to show you where to build and for safety but you have to build it yourself.

That hardly washes with the original analogy. In yours, God takes an actual active part in helping by adding the scaffolding.

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
So there is a test... but there were never any lessons. This teacher makes us pass the test without preparing us to this? I don't like this quote. I couldn't look at life this way. In my opinion the only reason of this silence is that there is no teacher.

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

Regi

Regi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Locationmountain top

Love this. Thoughts?
Posted Image

Why does going through something hard have to be a test? who said it was a test? I NEVER wonder where god is while I'm going through hard times, I rely on myself to get me through it and nobody else. I'm not a cop out! :)

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

So there is a test... but there were never any lessons. This teacher makes us pass the test without preparing us to this?

Excellent point. Now, I would expect defenders of the quote to work some "Footprints In The Sand" type mojo and say that God has always been teaching us, but was doing so by example rather than by lecture. Or something like that.

GSBryce

GSBryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
It would be reassuring if he did give us a little encouragement throughout the test. I feel so alone when going through a rough patch. Maybe my faith isn't where it needs to be,

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

It would be reassuring if he did give us a little encouragement throughout the test. I feel so alone when going through a rough patch. Maybe my faith isn't where it needs to be,

Here's a thought. If there is a God, perhaps your lifetime is like a blink of an eye to Him. I remember once when I was little, my father left me in the car to run into the grocery store to get something quick like milk or something. He was gone maybe 5 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. I felt like he was never coming back and cried like any young kiddo would when he thought he was being left alone for good. Two older kids stopped by the car when they heard me crying and told me that it would be okay.

But, he came back. And, to him, he was just gone for a minute and couldn't understand what the fuss was all about. So, if there is a God, maybe he's just doing something cosmic real quick and he'll get back to you in a bit. Meanwhile, find your inner strength and realize that it's okay to be alone and that there is a world of people out there willing to help you through.

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Life is not a test, don't look at it this way. You don't need to pass anything, you don't need to satisfy anybody, you just need to be happy and I'm sure you'll be happy, just don't give up and keep looking. I don't know what you are going through but I know one thing - it's always easier when you have someone to share your pain with. Don't be alone - there are so many people who feel alone too, you just need to find each other.

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA
I don't see any of my teachers following me through life - they taught what they had to teach and we parted ways.

By the way, all of those teachers were the kind that I could see and touch and talk to directly. And they answered. In words.

Teachers belong to unions - does God?

Is God a full-time, tenured teacher, or is He a substitute?

Sorry - I'm not much for this teaching analogy.
Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users