Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

If Science Proves Some Belief Of Your Religion Is Wrong, What Would You Do?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

nhoelb

nhoelb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Dalai Lama said: “"If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change."

If science proves some belief of your religion is wrong, what would you do?

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
I love this Dalai Lama quote! I believe in science. If somebody proved me there is god, I'd believe in god. Why wouldn't I? I want to believe in truth.

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

vpresson

vpresson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Dalai Lama said: “"If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change."

Well there wouldn't be much for me to do because i don't have a religion i believe in God and that's all i need to know i don't need a religion to define that so i guess nothing.

Anna Usorova

Anna Usorova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
I would have no choice but to do nothing. If something was discovered and religion had to be changed then I would accept it with open arms into my life. I guess we all have to adapt to new discoveries so therefore I would have only positive feelings about this rather than to be hanging onto the past traditions.

brokenblade

brokenblade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
In my case, Science has "proven wrong" various parts of my religion. The only thing is that my faith is open to interpretation. I just tend to look more into my faith.

Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
How would it work if Science was your religion?

Etu Malku III° MHD

Herald of the Dawn

liowkc

liowkc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
The fact that religions and science co-exist (albeit in an uneasy manner) speaks volume about human's capacity to shape truth according to their faith, putting square pegs into round holes.

MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVirtual World
If such thing would happen I would question first the scientific evidence that is proving such thing.

I think that many of our beliefs are not recorded with fidelity, as most scriptures are dated back in time when it was not possible have an instant recording of thoughts of events, leaving up to the memory of the protagonists the latter chronicle of what they witnessed or heard.

Similarly and with today's technology, not all what is said by scientist can be take as the most reliable and ultimate information, but it is necessary to study how they came up with the conclusion to know if we can trust in what they say.

LevelPlatForum, bringing your life up to a new level!

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand

I imagine that as a Buddhist and a happy one, I would not do anything different than i am doing today. I would like a reference to the quote as the Dalai Lama is quite intelligent and sometimes you need to see the entire context of his statement.
If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

alucard02

alucard02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Most people would do like their religion, change the interpretation of the religious texts, or adapt them to fit new discoveries. Thats how it has always been and how it will always be. People will always find new reasons to maintain their faith, even when proven wrong.

Bloomatic

Bloomatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
I agree with the words of the Dalai Lama. The path of folly not lead to nowhere. Science is a discipline made ​​by and for men, the product of these discoveries are part of our experience in this world. I think if there is a scientific discovery that opposes my beliefs, I will put into practice rational thinking and I accept it in a good way what science shows. We can`t be in a capricious position or cover the sun with our hands ... This position is uncomfortable and absurd. :mellow:

BarryLejieg

BarryLejieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Well, I can't answer to that. Science tried many times to prove my religion wrong but they failed often, in fact they ended up proving that the facts written in our Holy Book are scientifically verified!

ongoing

ongoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Science can never prove that there is no God, because the definition of God depends on your individual religion, spirituality or perspective. Science could never prove any of my beliefs wrong, in fact, because I believe in the world before my eyes and science can never disprove a person's experiences.

alucard02

alucard02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Science can never prove that there is no God, because the definition of God depends on your individual religion, spirituality or perspective. Science could never prove any of my beliefs wrong, in fact, because I believe in the world before my eyes and science can never disprove a person's experiences.

Its true that science cannot, and most likely wont ever be able to prove that God doesn't exist. However, science can prove that some religious beliefs are wrong.

sidney

sidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
Science is very different from religion, and it can't explain all things on this planet, that's why we have paranormal things here that still can't be explained until now, so since science can't explain God, then that goes to show how inferior science is compared to God.

ongoing

ongoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Its true that science cannot, and most likely wont ever be able to prove that God doesn't exist. However, science can prove that some religious beliefs are wrong.

Yeah. None of mine though. I don't think I believe in anything that could be countered by science. All of my experiences with the supernatural could not be countered because like God, I don't see how science could prove that ghosts don't exist. It's hard to prove a negative anyway.

Science is a part of my religion, if anything. I feel like the scientific way of looking at the Universe is one important piece of the puzzle of our reality. I've never understood why a lot of people feel like it is a totally separate thing from religion. Except when it comes to weird details such as the age of the Earth and what not, but I would have never pretended to know the age of the Earth in the first place. Even back when I was a hardcore Christian I never believed that Genesis was meant to be taken literally like that.

Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWV

Well, I can't answer to that. Science tried many times to prove my religion wrong but they failed often, in fact they ended up proving that the facts written in our Holy Book are scientifically verified!

From other posts, I know that you are a Muslim and follow the Quran. If you think that book contains some advanced science that must have been divinely revealed than I urge you to think again. While it is true that Arabs in the Middle East became advanced in science and mathematics during the "Golden Age" it is also true that this age of reason, spread of knowledge, and cultural sharing declined due to Islam and the teachings of Al-Ghazali, a fundementalist Muslim theologian. Muslim science has not recovered since this time, around 1100 CE. Islam does not teach science, it supresses it.

Do some research, here's a quick start I found

Michael A. Ray

omarfw

omarfw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
My beliefs concern metaphysical things, so science cannot prove or disprove them.

However, if science hypothetically could do so and provided evidence for why I should change my mind, I would do so because I choose to not live a life where I have to ignore reality in order to hold on to beliefs for the sake of personal comfort. I would rather embrace the universe the way it really is, even if my understanding of that changes.

alucard02

alucard02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Yeah. None of mine though. I don't think I believe in anything that could be countered by science. All of my experiences with the supernatural could not be countered because like God, I don't see how science could prove that ghosts don't exist. It's hard to prove a negative anyway.

Science is a part of my religion, if anything. I feel like the scientific way of looking at the Universe is one important piece of the puzzle of our reality. I've never understood why a lot of people feel like it is a totally separate thing from religion. Except when it comes to weird details such as the age of the Earth and what not, but I would have never pretended to know the age of the Earth in the first place. Even back when I was a hardcore Christian I never believed that Genesis was meant to be taken literally like that.

Well the thing is that some of your current religious beliefs could be countered by science in the future. What would you do if that happened? Change your beliefs, or start doubting the religion? (I'm writing this assuming that you are still a Christian).

HiEv

HiEv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationCounter-Earth
Responses to multiple posters below...

Uh... No, science has proven that many claims of your religion were wrong.

You're Christian, right? Happen to remember what the Christian church did to a little fellow named Galileo Galilei? He said that the Earth orbits the Sun. The church said, "No! The Bible says that the Earth rests on a pillar and the Sun moves around it across the firmament. Take back that blasphemy!" They then locked him up for saying something so heretical. Well, science proved your religion wrong on that one big time.

Sure, your religion doesn't believe that anymore, now that the evidence is so undeniable, but the odds are your religion still denies plenty of other scientific facts, such as evolution, and promotes things that are most likely untrue, such as the exodus, or certainly untrue, like Noah's flood.

Science is very different from religion, and it can't explain all things on this planet, that's why we have paranormal things here that still can't be explained until now,

You do realize that you're just making a "God of the gaps" argument, right? Once religious men didn't know how thunder and lightning worked, so they claimed it was the work of the gods. Scientists, on the other hand, didn't simply throw their hands up and say, "Well, goddidit!" Nope, they researched, and studied, and hypothesized, and tested, and verified, until they figured out how it works. So things people used to point to as "we don't know how that works, therefore God" have been shot down left and right over the last few hundred years. Every year science explains more and more, and so your "God" exists only in an ever-shrinking gap in our knowledge. Also, science can explain far more "paranormal" things than you think, you just aren't aware of those explanations. If you were, you'd know just how far your God of the gaps has shrunk.

Furthermore, saying "goddidit" when you can't explain something, doesn't actually explain anything. It just adds a bigger mystery. So religion "can't explain all things on this planet" either.

Considering how many gaps in our knowledge were once explained by God, but it turned out it was something else that actually explained it, I'd bet against "God" being the real explanation for any gap. It's been a sound bet so far.

so since science can't explain God, then that goes to show how inferior science is compared to God.

Yeah, science also can't explain pixies, leprechauns, and goblins, so science mush be inferior to them too, eh? :rolleyes:

Science has given us medicine, shelter, entertainment, education, communication, safety, mobility, and many other things at levels mankind never dreamed of. We live longer, healthier, easier, and more enjoyably thanks to the products of science. Yes, there are some down sides, but they're no worse than the down sides of religion, and the upsides of science far outshine anything religion has ever done here in the real world. Heck, science usually figures out how to solve its own problems.

I'm sorry, but I really fail to see how "explaining God" is a reasonable metric when comparing which of science or religion is inferior to the other. Actual good done in the world seems to be a far more reasonable metric, and in that case religion is hands down far inferior to science.

Yeah. None of mine though. I don't think I believe in anything that could be countered by science.

Do any of your beliefs include things that affect reality? Such as "praying for X frequently causes Y"? If so, those kinds of claims can be tested and countered by science.

All of my experiences with the supernatural could not be countered because like God, I don't see how science could prove that ghosts don't exist. It's hard to prove a negative anyway.

You can't disprove all ghosts, but you can often show that there are better and more probable explanations for specific ghosts. One infamous "ghost" was known for years by walking invisibly up and down the creaking stairs in a certain "haunted" building. One day an investigator looked into it, and it turned out that the building which abutted it also had stairs on the opposite side of the wall of the supposedly "haunted" house. When someone went up the stairs in one house, the sounds could be heard in the other house as though its stairs were being climbed. When ghost stories like this are looked into critically, often more probable naturalistic explanations are found.

In other words, saying something is "paranormal" isn't an explanation, it's just a word people use after they gave up looking for an explanation. Just because someone claims something is "paranormal" doesn't mean that it actually is however, and there are numerous debunked "paranormal" claims that prove this is true.

Sounds like you and I both have problems with Stephen Jay Gould's "non-overlapping magisteria" (NOMA) claim regarding science and religion. :)

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users