Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Is The Difference Between Faith And Believe Or Are The Words The Same In Meaning?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Emmanuel

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The word faith and believe are two different things and are not the same words. While faith is the convinction a person has in his God, believe is the trust you have in what God says concerning you. However, faith and believe seem to be synonymous with each other but are not the in meaning.

Faith is a deeper dimention of believe while believe is the trust you have in the knowledge of what you profess as a person. In other words, the faith you have as a person makes you a follower of the religion and faith that you confess, while your believe makes you trust and hope in the awareness and knowledge of such religion.

dorothymoreno

dorothymoreno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationLawton, Oklahoma

I looked it up on dictionary.com and found this:

faith   [feyth]  religionthe firm faith of the Pilgrims.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someoneconcerning honesty.

be┬Ělief   [bih-leef]  believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: astatement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

reading this I agree that they have similar meanings, but in reality they are different. I believe that that faith something that is stronger then belief. It is kind of hard to explain but if you have faith in something then you know the difference I guess. I like the way you explained though in your last paragraph though, that pretty much sums it up.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

I looked it up on dictionary.com and found this:

Yeah ... see, I don't have much faith in Dictionary.com nor do I believe they give the best definitions.

I can believe in something yet not have faith in it, while to have faith in something I first have to believe in it.

For example - "I've lost my faith in God although I still believe in Him" makes sense while "I don't believe in God but still have faith in Him" does not.

Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

dorothymoreno

dorothymoreno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationLawton, Oklahoma

Yeah ... see, I don't have much faith in Dictionary.com nor do I believe they give the best definitions.

I can believe in something yet not have faith in it, while to have faith in something I first have to believe in it.

For example - "I've lost my faith in God although I still believe in Him" makes sense while "I don't believe in God but still have faith in Him" does not.

I'm not saying they give the best definitions, I was just using the definition I had found as and example of one of many definitions of the two. I like your example as well, it makes a lot of sense.. You can believe in someone and at the same time not have faith in them. That is a good example you gave. As for me, I believe in God and I have faith in him. 

unarmedthinker

unarmedthinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Faith and belief are two words used interchangably by the religious. You can't have faith without belief. How could you have faith in God if you don't believe in God? You can't have faith in something you don't believe in. I think belief and faith are words used to describe the same thing in the context of religion, it is belief in the existence of God and trusting God.