Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Buddhist Views On Sex And Masturbation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

RetJoSek

RetJoSek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi guys, so my ex and her family were buddhist. She wasn't really a strict Buddhist where her family was. Being young and experimental we were very sexually active, we had to keep any sexual activity at all a secret from her family. Sooner or later they found out and reacted badly, it seemed that it wasn't as much the sex activities; more masturbation. So I am here to ask what is the Buddhist viewpoint on sex and masturbation?

Thank you.

unarmedthinker

unarmedthinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Buddhists do not masturbate and masturbation is frowned upon because it is seeking pleasure from sexual activity. You can also become addicted to masturbation, another reason why it is frowned upon.

I don't see a problem with it if you are not a monk, her family must have been really strict because it's not a big issue in buddhism.

Treighsie

Treighsie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

So do buddhists frown upon all sex? 

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I thought that Buddhist societies are one of the most sexually liberal in the world. I hear of temple prostitutes and such likes. Are you saying they are strict about sex?! More information please...

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

Jessi

Jessi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

It varies a lot actually. There are a lot of grey areas and things that are open to interpretation. For example: 

It can also be argued that even for a layperson, 

excessive focus on sexual pleasure by any means can be said to be not following the middle path.. However, this needn't necessarily apply to moderate and healthy sexual stimulation, according to many traditions. Buddhism also stresses the importance of compassion and mindfullness, so it is theoretically possible that if masturbation would allow for one to abstain from greater sexual misconduct which may harm another sentient being, it is permissible and even encourageable under the circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia....bation#Buddhism

SteeelWoool

SteeelWoool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I believe that would classify as a worldly pleasure, and that is a no no. But, sex is of course necessary to reproduce, so no religion can truly "ban" it. Those temple prostitutes you speak of Jatelo2 sound like they go against everything Buddhism teaches, can you give a source on that?

Anna Usorova

Anna Usorova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Many religions and many sins are based upon the fact that if something pleasures you too much to the point where you can be addicted this causes other people to look down on you and then eventually they will think this is completely wrong.
Therefore I consider this a very conservative religion just because of these morals and values and rules that they have.
I am not surprised that their views on this are so frowned upon no matter how much you try to make them seem alright.

RetJoSek

RetJoSek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Buddhists do not masturbate and masturbation is frowned upon because it is seeking pleasure from sexual activity. You can also become addicted to masturbation, another reason why it is frowned upon.

I don't see a problem with it if you are not a monk, her family must have been really strict because it's not a big issue in buddhism.

Her family are really strict and restricting in everyway, in fact that's why our relationship fell apart. You are correct with the addiction to masturbation (she actually was, but her family didn't know that (or at least I don't think they did)). So in the Buddhist religion it is frowned upon; but not really enforced in the modern world?

RetJoSek

RetJoSek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I believe that would classify as a worldly pleasure, and that is a no no. But, sex is of course necessary to reproduce, so no religion can truly "ban" it. Those temple prostitutes you speak of Jatelo2 sound like they go against everything Buddhism teaches, can you give a source on that?

But we were both young so I mean it was solely pleasure. (she was much more sexual than me, but her family didn't know that)... I agree with you on the last part, it really doesn't sound correct, however, after doing some reading up, and from my experience it seems to be true...

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand

My understanding is that sex or anything else that is non-violent is ok as long as it does not cause suffering ~ mental or physical.

If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand

I thought that Buddhist societies are one of the most sexually liberal in the world. I hear of temple prostitutes and such likes. Are you saying they are strict about sex?! More information please...

Jatelo,  I hope that you really do not believe that.  I have been a practicing Buddhist for more than 40 years and have been residing in Thailand which is a Buddhist country for the past six years.  I have never heard or seen such a deviate temple such as you describe.  As I am retired with plenty of time to travel, if you have heard of one in Thailand, I will go and investigate.  I really do not think they exist...and if they do, they should not use the Buddha's name in conjunction with them because they are absolutely not Buddhist.

If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

RetJoSek

RetJoSek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

My understanding is that sex or anything else that is non-violent is ok as long as it does not cause suffering ~ mental or physical.

Thanks for the answer, that is always how I thought the Buddhist view on such activities was, and I am glad to see I was atleast partially correct.

This is rather random but from the post above you say about living in Thailand, you don't happen to live in Chiang Mai do you? (I'm asking because with my university I will be doing semesters in countries of my choosing and I was considering Chiang Mai university (I've always been interested in traveling to Asia, and Thailand seems perfect). Cheers.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain

That's my understanding too. Sex between two consenting adults who are not in exclusive relationships is not harmful, and therefore not a problem. And masturbation in order to relieve sexual tensions is surely preferable to inappropriate sexual conduct which may, as Richard points out, cause suffering on one level or another.

Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

ongoing

ongoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

It depends on the Buddhist, just like it depends on the Christian or anything else. Most people I know who call themselves Buddhists are actually pretty sexually free. There are a million different interpretations of any religion.

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand

Thanks for the answer, that is always how I thought the Buddhist view on such activities was, and I am glad to see I was atleast partially correct.

This is rather random but from the post above you say about living in Thailand, you don't happen to live in Chiang Mai do you? (I'm asking because with my university I will be doing semesters in countries of my choosing and I was considering Chiang Mai university (I've always been interested in traveling to Asia, and Thailand seems perfect). Cheers.

Chaing Mai is a very nice location for going to school.  The weather is a bit cooler there.  I live in Pattaya which is about 80 miles north from Bangkok and there is no university here as it is mainly a tourist city.

Please feel free to pm me with any questions regarding Thailand that you may have.

warmweatherwoman

warmweatherwoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

This reason would be what shys me aways from really being devoted to any religion.  I hate how sex is talked about as if it is something dirty.  Scientists STILL to this day have not found a reason behind a womans orgasam...that says alot..it means it only happens for PLEASURE...hint hint!  

bryan cassidy

bryan cassidy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I love the buddhist tradition but have a different viewpoint on it.  I think the whole idea of limiting pleasure is a terrible one.  While it's true that it's possible to become addicted to masturbation and sex, it's also true that it's possible to become addicted to meditating and exercise.  If we are to learn how to become free of suffering, why would we want to limit pleasure.  I think the idea of forbidding monks, or anyone from that matter, from sexual pleasure is absurd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users