Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Do You Connect With God?

ways to connect with God how do you worship God

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

eppie

eppie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I recently read a book "Sacred Pathways" by Gary Thomas, and it's interesting to know the different ways how people connect with God (This was also discuss in Rick Warren's book - The Purpose Driven Life). 

In his book, Gary Thomas identifies 9 types of people..

1. Naturalists - Connects with God outdoors in a natural environment setting.

2. Sensates - Connects with God through their senses - hearing, seeing, touching, etc.

3. Traditionalists - Connects with God through religious rituals and practices.

4. Activists - Connects with God when he/she battles evils and injustices in the world.

5. Caregivers - Connects with God when he/she takes care of other people.

6. Enthusiasts - Connects with God through celebrations.

7. Contemplatives - Connects with God through adorations.

8. Intellectuals - Connects with God by studying the scriptures, laws, etc.

9. Ascetics - Connects with God through solitude and simplicity.

Different strokes for different folks.  Personally, I think I'm a combination of no. 3, 5, & 9,  and maybe this is the reason why I usually get bored when attending the mass. :)  I also think that this is the reason why some people "hop" from one religion to another. 

What do you think? :)

chrislyons88

chrislyons88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I connect with myself. I have no clue who God is or what he is. I can only relate to the world through myself. I do alot of meditation, in my own home and in the gym.

Anyone else hit the meditation in the gym?

icebloodz

icebloodz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I just dont do stupid things immoral, sinful things. But I guess Im just humoring myself. How can I a lowly human being connect with a diving and enigmatic one "who works in mysterious way". Its like were on two different planes of existence. 

fiasco823

fiasco823

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

In relation to the question, I think I am a combination of 7 & 9.  Although most of the time, I tend to connect with God through solitude and simply by talking to Him when I am on my own.  I am not a very religious person but I do believe that there is someone out there who can be counted on and intercedes when the time is right.  This gives me hope especially during very trying times.  In spite of all the bad things that are happening in the world, there is a divine reason for anything and everything that is happening.  Whenever I have my conversations with God, I find guidance and my burden is lightened somehow.

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Intellectual! I read the scriptures and  other religious books alot and when I do so I have a sense of satisfaction. Isn't that how intellectuals connect with God?

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

dowdyrich

dowdyrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

My connection is made through prayer/talking to God and reading of scriptures. I will say that is something that I am working on more and more. I want a better connection, and I get lazy at times, so I have to work at it a bit more.

TheTalkingCat

TheTalkingCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationYakima, Washington

I recently read a book "Sacred Pathways" by Gary Thomas, and it's interesting to know the different ways how people connect with God (This was also discuss in Rick Warren's book - The Purpose Driven Life). 

2. Sensates - Connects with God through their senses - hearing, seeing, touching, etc.

4. Activists - Connects with God when he/she battles evils and injustices in the world.

Different strokes for different folks.  Personally, I think I'm a combination of no. 3, 5, & 9,  and maybe this is the reason why I usually get bored when attending the mass. :)  I also think that this is the reason why some people "hop" from one religion to another. 

(Heheh) I have never hopped from religion to religion. I don't even really consider myself to have a religion. I am not religious. I am spiritual with a personal relationship with God, but if you did put a label on me, yes I would be a Christian.

I like to connect (talk with or just focus) with God by just walking around outside in a field. Also through solitude.

But now that I think about it. I always feel like I'm connected with God all through out the day because He is such a huge part of my life. He is always on my mind.

Parker

Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

I mostly connect to God through meditation. I'm not sure what type that would fall under.  It might be contemplatives, but adoration doesn't seem really seem to fit. I also fall under 1, 5, and 9.

I don't think most people would fall under one category, but are mixture of two or more.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." --Lao Tzu

lokis80

lokis80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I'm not really sure where I fit on this chart. I guess I would call it spending time with him. Talking to him. Thanking him and praying for guidance on different areas in my life. It's definitely not enough and I am working on doing more. 

eppie

eppie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I'm not really sure where I fit on this chart. I guess I would call it spending time with him. Talking to him. Thanking him and praying for guidance on different areas in my life. It's definitely not enough and I am working on doing more. 

I think you're a 7 and a 9.  :)

I'm a 3-5-9 combo :D .  I think my being a traditionalist was an influence from my parents but I'm naturally inclined to connect with God through solitude and simplicity.  I also feel God's presence when I'm able to help someone and likewise when someone helps me, I feel that God is working through that helpful person. 

Thanks for sharing Guys :wub:

Bloomatic

Bloomatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
I don't like labels, but it's inevitably identify with any of those categories. I think I am a combination of intellectual and activist. However, I feel that I connect with God through the simple things in life. I enjoy nature and the company of my loved ones. I think in those immaterial details we can find one via expedited to connect with the divine and enhance our spiritual experience. :)

maddie

maddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I can identify with two of those there.. intellectuals and contemplatives.. I read the scriptures and worship god in mediation and adoration.. There can be nothing more satisfying to me than both of those. I love reading the scriptures and mediating on them.. I can do this for many hours in a day if time, husband and kids permit.. :) 

difrancprod

difrancprod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Connecting to God is simple and that is through meditation. When we silent our minds and open our hearts, that's when we get to hear and listen to God's voice. God has always been there within us. Meditation is the best way to tap Him.

melovesengland

melovesengland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I always connect with him by myself not by any other people but myself only. I find more comfort and self assured when I am having time with him. It should be easy for others as well as me.

pafjlh

pafjlh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

This is a good list and I think it pretty much sums up the ways in which people do connect with God.  As for me, I never really gave it much thought but I guess I fall into numbers 3,4,6 and 9.  Although, there are times when I can also connect with God in a way through 1 as well.  But those moments are few and far between in nature so I can't place that one of my list of those that I frequently connect with God through. I guess I could also say that I use to connect with God through number 5 as well, when I was a care giver for my mother.  But since her death some years back that is no longer the case, so I don't fall under that category any longer.

samb222

samb222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

To connect with God I read the bible and pray.. And try my hardest not to sin! I find that the longer I don't sin for, the stronger the connection I feel with God. Another way to connect is to go to Church/your place of worship, however I believe that isn't generally necessary to connect with our God. 

I believe I'm a mixture of that list, as I worship God in a number of different ways. 

I would like to strengthen my faith, though, as I've found myself sinning a lot more often.

Faith Daze

Faith Daze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

We are all God's children.  Therefore, my belief is that we are already connected to Him.  Spending time and fellowshipping with God is different.  Prayer, no matter how simple, is one of the ways that I fellowship with God.  I also, read the Bible and seek understanding of His words.  I take communion in rememberance of Jesus.  I also have faith in knowing that each time I tell God "I Love You" and "Thank You" for being in my life He hears my words.

eppie

eppie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Seeing all your posts only shows that we indeed have different ways, that we feel comfortable with, when we connect to God.  :)

On a personal note, I was really glad to learn about the list because it tells me that I'm not really a bad Catholic just because I don't like going to weekly mass.  It just means that I'm not "engineered" that way and I prefer to be with Him in solitude. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users