Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Same Sex Marriage And Religion

- - - - - gay sex marriage homosexuality law government

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

flemingtm

flemingtm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I've thought about this topic for a long time and I've wondered how God really sees gay marriage. Does he Embrace the coming together of both of his children or does the cry in shame to the fact that two people of the same sex are wed. I know what the Bible says about Homosexuality and how man should not lye with man, but if I could hear it from God's own mouth. What do you think he would say?

Rube

Rube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUK

If you were to take what Jesus preached as being what is desired of us, I don't think he ever referred to homosexuality. I believe he did say that his word would replace those outdated old testament laws, and that would include what is written in Leviticus about it being an abomination.

If people were to follow the word of Jesus and accept that love is all. Then they should be able to accept that love between two people is something that should never be denied.

If the gay marriage laws go through in the U.K., there is a proviso that no church or religious institution will be forced to perform marriages for people of the same gender. It will be up to those religious institutions to decide whether or not they will agree to do it or if they will forbid such a marriage to take place in their places of worship.

Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

If you were to take what Jesus preached as being what is desired of us, I don't think he ever referred to homosexuality. I believe he did say that his word would replace those outdated old testament laws, and that would include what is written in Leviticus about it being an abomination.

If people were to follow the word of Jesus and accept that love is all. Then they should be able to accept that love between two people is something that should never be denied.

If the gay marriage laws go through in the U.K., there is a proviso that no church or religious institution will be forced to perform marriages for people of the same gender. It will be up to those religious institutions to decide whether or not they will agree to do it or if they will forbid such a marriage to take place in their places of worship.

Referring to the last paragraph of your post, I think that gay marriage should not be a religious ceremony. I think that same-sex marriage should be called something other than same-sex marriage. I am a lesbian and I don't want to get married ever, but if I ever did - because you can never say never - then I wouldn't care what it was called or who married me and my wife, as long as I had the same recognition and financial and medical benefits as heterosexual couples, excluding recognition from religions, because i couldn't care less about what religions think about same-sex marriages to be honest. It is stupid to mix politics and law with religion, and it is wrong.

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Love is love. It's never wrong. When two people love each other, it's a good thing - we really need more love in this awful world.

I don't believe in god, but if I did, I'd believe that he doesn't have anything against homosexuals. After all, he would be the one who created them this way.

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Referring to the last paragraph of your post, I think that gay marriage should not be a religious ceremony.

Why? What is it about religion that gives it the right to define what marriage is? Marriage existed before religion. Religion did not invent marriage, so why does it get to define it?

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

When it comes to sexual immoralities, I know that people are willing to compromise and come up with all sorts of interpretations depending on which side they have taken. Pro homosexuality would dismiss it as a normal relationship whereas those against it would really demonize the act. While I can't promise to reconcile the two opposing views, I'm of the view that what the scripture says should be the absolute authority on the matter...

The Bible is clear, NO TO HOMOSEXUALITY!

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

The Bible is clear, NO TO HOMOSEXUALITY!

Cite chapter and verse. 

And even if you can, it doesn't matter. Marriage is not the domain of the religious institutions. The state certifies the marriage contract. The church merely performs the ceremony.

vpresson

vpresson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

I've thought about this topic for a long time and I've wondered how God really sees gay marriage. Does he Embrace the coming together of both of his children or does the cry in shame to the fact that two people of the same sex are wed. I know what the Bible says about Homosexuality and how man should not lye with man, but if I could hear it from God's own mouth. What do you think he would say?

That's a really good question I don't know how he would respond to it cause I know it says same sex is wrong but God is also a loving and forgiving God I just don't understand

R. Zimm

R. Zimm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

I look at it this way. IF you believe in god and that He created the Universe, the Earth, and all life then you have to be honest with yourself and look at how he made critters (including humans) male / female AND how human children need quite a long time to become adults (even if you say at 15).

So, IF god created men and women with organs that need to be used together to create babies and that any resulting babies will take at least 15 years of care, doesn't that reinforce the argument for hetrosexual mariage and how it should be promoted as the goal?

I'm not saying that two (or more) consenting adults (of either gender) cannot love one another and enjoy sex, that's not mariage or normal human procreation. Religion gets into this because of the organizations and history. I personally would not attend a Christian Church that married same sex couples but if you want to, that's your right. I also do not think that local, state or federal government should approve of same sex mariages but if the people of one state decide that then they can. Other states or the federal government should be forced to recognize them though.

The vast majority of Christians do not "hate" gays, or anyone else. That's also a created meme that's used to manipulate.

JosieP

JosieP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

If god didn't accept homosexuality, wouldn't he just put a stop to it?  Or not create it to begin with?  If he hated how we live so much, wouldn't he just flood us all out of existence and start again?  Or something, lol..

ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Referring to the last paragraph of your post, I think that gay marriage should not be a religious ceremony. I think that same-sex marriage should be called something other than same-sex marriage. I am a lesbian and I don't want to get married ever, but if I ever did - because you can never say never - then I wouldn't care what it was called or who married me and my wife, as long as I had the same recognition and financial and medical benefits as heterosexual couples, excluding recognition from religions, because i couldn't care less about what religions think about same-sex marriages to be honest. It is stupid to mix politics and law with religion, and it is wrong.

Agreed, I don't get why people keep treating gay marriage as a religious issue. It's a human rights issue.

Gay people in 2013 are still being discriminated against and denied rights that other Americans have.

When black people or women are denied rights, no one brings up the bible, but they do when gay people are denied rights.

When a gay partner can't visit his partner in the hospital because he's not "family" or a lesbian can't put her partner on her health insurance plan because they can't get married, that's a legal and political issue, not a religious one.

BlackSolaris

BlackSolaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Wasn't it just to love your partner? I think i never read that it had to be from the same sex (or species, maybe someday we will ,marry aliens for all i know). Seriously, religion would be better if tt stopped with all the mistery and went straight to the point.

FaithsShadow

FaithsShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

hmm... one question that pops in my mind is why do Religions even bother with these questions? Why is the Religious so afraid of laws that would allow same sex Marriage? or laws that would make the playing field equal? ...What do both sides have to gain or lose? If you could answer that, then everything would make sense. Why do people do anything for that matter? ...

I for one am okay with the state recognizing marriage of two people who really mean it. It doesn't have to include religion or the Religious.

MTHart

MTHart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

While I am not Christian, I think it's really ridiculous when people sometimes tries to associate same-sex marriage or homosexuality or anything of the sort with pedophilia or rape. That's the only time I really get upset. If a church or religion doesn't want to recognize my partner and I, that's their decision. Like Dreek Lass said, I just want the protections and benefits of everyone else. Just because we can't reproduce doesn't mean we're any less committed. Our children are our children regardless of what blood runs through them or who they look like. We get up in the mornings, she and I are partners and at night she and I are partners. That's what "marriage" should be in the eyes of the government. It should be two people living together financially, and with the intent of mixing assets like we do.

Also, I know someone is going to suggest "civil unions" as being equal to marriage and let me strike that down right now because it's not even close. As a judge once said, "It's skim milk marriage". With marriage it carries from state to state, you could move and your marriage wouldn't just suddenly dissolve. You can federal benefits, protections, and can file your taxes together. However, with civil unions, that doesn't happen. If you move to a new state, your marriage might cease to exist. If your state allows same-sex marriage, then you can file state taxes together, but not federal taxes. If your partner dies, you have to pay tax in regards to the property where as a widow in a heterosexual marriage doesn't have to. Mind you, this is all in regards to your country and state. I based these off of the USA.

If you want to talk about the Christian God and what he might say, I think he might say a lot. The Bible was placed in a time where living to 25 was a considered a blessing. Having kids, marrying young, passing on the family name, and etc were pretty important then. Now a days, we are living longer, reproducing more, and divorcing more. Do you really think God wouldn't take a look at all of that? What's wrong with a same-sex couple raising a child? What's wrong with them having the legal protections for them and that child? 

Rocky

Rocky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

The bible was written in a time where peoples general knowledge of homosexuality was extremely limited. When people don't understand something they tend to fear it which is why I believe there is such a negative perspective of it written in the bible. The bible was written by people who did not know any better.

I don't believ in god so I naturally don't think he is thinking anything. If he loves all his 'children' then why wouldn't he love the gays and want them to be happy? It just doesn't make sense to me.

If you know anyone that is gay then you know that there is nothing wrong with it and that they deserve the same rights and freedoms ans everyone else.

ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

hmm... one question that pops in my mind is why do Religions even bother with these questions? Why is the Religious so afraid of laws that would allow same sex Marriage? or laws that would make the playing field equal? ...What do both sides have to gain or lose? If you could answer that, then everything would make sense. Why do people do anything for that matter? ...

I for one am okay with the state recognizing marriage of two people who really mean it. It doesn't have to include religion or the Religious.

To hear homophobic people tell it, they think that if gay marriage is made legal, the next thing will be allowing people to marry children or animals. They're threatened because they think it will set a bad precedent. That's a stupid thought. Gay marriage doesn't belong in the same category as sex crimes against animals and children.

It's ridiculous that people still think this way in 2013.

SabraO

SabraO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTexas

Churches tend to be hypocritical idiots when it comes to marriage equality, sadly.

As a Christian, I put most weight in what Jesus said. He said nothing in regard to homosexuality one way or another. He did say "Love one another as I have loved you"; in fact He repeatedly told us our primary purpose on this Earth is to love God and love each other.  And when Jesus spoke of love, He did not mean the vaguely benevolent feeling most of us have for our fellow man. He meant love as a series of action, as taking care of one another.  Attempting to alienate people because of their sexual orientation simply cannot be considered love. (This isn't merely not hating gays. It is loving them in a Christlike fashion.)

When it comes to marriage, Jesus was in fact quite vocal on the subject. He spoke of divorce as anathema, and said that while God had previously allowed divorce, it was because of hard hearts and now the new law was to not divorce.  He further said that if you remarried after divorce, you were committing adultery.  Virtually no church today takes the slightest issue wtih divorce, and indeed I have noticed that some of the churches which speak loudest against homosexual marriage have clergy who have been divorced.

If only more Christians would actually read the Bible, rather than swallow whole what the dude at the pulpit tells them is true, we would probably be done with this discussion.  Fun fact: the word in the NT which we translate as 'homosexual' to claim that the Apostle Paul spoke against same sex relations with authority is actually not found anywhere else in the language.  We don't know what he actually meant, as we lack the cultural context with which to properly attempt translation.  So that adds another layer of idiocy to the whole thing.

In general, we hold that marriage confers several benefits on society, including stabilty of families, encouragement of monogamy, and an orderly sharing (and passing on) of wealth.  There is no logical reason, and no theologically sound reason, to deny these benefits to a not-insignificant portion of our populace.

taskeinc

taskeinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Look at the image below of the Milky Way galaxy, and tell me if you think Divine Intelligence (a combination of our collective consciousness) would give a rats azz about who we decide to co-habituate with. The biblical, fictitious, vengeful, jealous God (all characteristics of man, by the way), would probably punish you severely, except, HE'S not real, he is a figment of man's bizarre imagination! Our miniscule planet is less than a grain of sand when compared to the universe. When we bring the God on paper (bible) into any conversation, ALL LOGIC goes out the window!

draft_lens19709181module167247431photo_1

AmazingUniverse.info

taskeinc

taskeinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

"Churches tend to be hypocritical idiots when it comes to marriage equality, sadly."

"He further said that if you remarried after divorce, you were committing adultery."

If only more Christians would actually read the Bible, rather than swallow whole what the dude at the pulpit tells them is true, we would probably be done with this discussion. 

Churches are indeed hypocritical, and it's not just on the issue of homosexuality. The church is hypocritical, and the Bible contradicts itself on a VAST ARRAY OF SUBJECTS.

There's absolutely no way a person can identify themselves as a Christian and then attempt to disassociate or disconnect from anything in the Bible or what is ordained by Christian churches. There are horrific scriptures throughout the Bible where God condones killing homosexuals, or refers to them as "abominations." Here's a few:

• Leviticus 20:13, "'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

• Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."

• 1 Timothy 1:10, "The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine."

Remarrying after divorce is committing adultery? Are you kidding me? I suppose this means if you're married to a guy who emotionally or physically abuses you, or a woman who abuses her husband, they are stuck in the marriage because the bible said so? Even if it's not a case of abuse, where two people grow apart, and find out they're just not right for one another - by biblical standards, you're trapped in the marriage; or, if you divorce you can't marry again. WOW !! Imagine how many husbands would be killing wives and vice versa!

I can't understand how millions of people cannot see how RIDICULOUS and OUT-DATED the bible is. This is a book that should be collecting dust on bookshelves across the globe (it actually is collecting dust, most church-goers take it to church, then it's back on the shelf).

You're right, more Christians do need to read the Bible, and if they read it objectively, they would have to be a psychopath to continue to believe such an awful book was inspired by a loving presence in the universe that we call God.

AmazingUniverse.info

DrRipley

DrRipley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Even "traditional" marriage has been bastardized to the point of not really being about God anymore. Everyone is now having sex before marriage so the white dress doesn't really mean what it used to, and everyone is getting divorced so those vows really don't mean what they used to. Marriage nowadays is a lot more about laws and taxes than it is about God, so I don't think God wouldn't be at all surprised anymore and quite frankly neither am I.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay, sex, marriage, homosexuality, law, government

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users