Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bibles In Hotels And Inns?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Aluminium

Aluminium

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Whenever I have stayed in an inn, motel, or hotel, I have always seen a bible in a drawer, usually beneath the lamp. Regardless of star (I've been to all types of starred hotels), there is always a bible. I have never understood why it was there. Obviously hotels aren't forcing you to convert, but why do most (if not all) have one? I'm not much of a religious person myself, so please do explain.

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
You can thank the Gideons for that. The Gideons are businessmen who use money raised from various churches to pay for the Bibles and pay to distribute them in places like hotels, hospitals and prisons. These are places where it is likely that someone might pick up a Bible in a desperate moment and have their lives turned around.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA
Personally I always remove the Bible and leave a copy of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason - it too turns lives around but with far less words and zero guilt.
Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Whenever I have stayed in an inn, motel, or hotel, I have always seen a bible in a drawer, usually beneath the lamp. Regardless of star (I've been to all types of starred hotels), there is always a bible. I have never understood why it was there. Obviously hotels aren't forcing you to convert, but why do most (if not all) have one? I'm not much of a religious person myself, so please do explain.

Is the Bible the only book that you do find in the drawers you are talking about? If not then you should not be so specific about the Bibles presence among other books unless you such a religious person with issues against the Bible. Anyway they are there to be read and may be influence the reader just like any other book :)

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationNYC
I noticed the same thing too when i visit hotels. I don't know how that evolved but that's a good question. It's no wonder that the stories in the Bible are some of the longest ever told around the world.

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Personally I always remove the Bible and leave a copy of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason - it too turns lives around but with far less words and zero guilt.

Why not leave both and let the next occupier of the room decide which one works best?

Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I've NOT seen a bible in a hotel, motel or Inn more than I've seen one. But like someone above mentioned, they probably (the people who distribute them) want to change people's lives and they know some of the secret supposedly "sinful" things that go down in a hotel or motel. When the person comes down from their high or they are getting dressed after maybe a sexual escapade. I agree that it seems like the perfect place to try and change people's lives.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain
The thing to remember here is that the Bible is left as an option for reading, just as a magazine or newspaper may be left. A certain section of society - the Gideons - choose to use their funds to leave Bibles in hotel rooms. The choice of whether to read it or not resides with the occupant of the room. It's not a sinister masterplan to convert everyone who ever stays in a hotel to Christianity.
Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

KNH

KNH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Supposedly, it was the International Bible Society first and then the Gideons, but who knows?

http://www.straightd...very-hotel-room

Dragonessnix

Dragonessnix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I haven't been in a hotel for a long time, but I think it is normal to have a Bible in the room along with other books as well. Anyone can have their books put into rooms if the money is right.

I also feel that people who may be offended by the Bible in the room, should just leave it alone. Don't pick it up and read, just go about your business.
Robin M Hoopes

FlipKup

FlipKup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationPallet Town

Supposedly, it was the International Bible Society first and then the Gideons, but who knows?

http://www.straightd...very-hotel-room

Interesting, I had not known about this before.

I recently visited three hotels, in different states, for a road trip. I never failed to find a Bible stashed somewhere in the room. It was comforting - but I wonder how it feels for other faiths?

ssamcd

ssamcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
The reason the bible is placed in hotels is because their is an organization that has been passing out the bible for years and years. It is a Christian organization who wanted to spread the Christian faith. People who are traveling and on their own are happy to read the bible. I think they figure it is a time when people traveling have a time to reflect on their spirituality.

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I noticed that also and it's in courtrooms as well. I know people try to discredit the bible, but I don't think it would be everywhere if it was false. That alone should tell you something about its authenticity. There isn't any other book I know of that is more known than the bible. It should be in hotel rooms because of all the sin that goes on in the rooms, and the establishments themselves. There's always nice to have the comfort of a bible if you need help figureing things out.

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

I noticed that also and it's in courtrooms as well.

Where do you see them in coutrooms, aside from the one used to take an oath on?

Anonamoss1

Anonamoss1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I think they have Bibles in the hotels as a courtesy to Christians. Sometimes when you are traveling you don't have time to go to church, or you don't want to go to a new church. Having a Bible in the room accomodates people who still want to have that religious connection. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I haven't stayed in a hotel in a while, but I heard that some hotels are no longer keeping Bibles in the bedroom. Some woman on Tumblr posted a picture of herself writing the word 'fiction' on the Bible. I suppose it bothers some people, but I don't see why since it can easily be kept the the nightstand.

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Where do you see them in coutrooms, aside from the one used to take an oath on?

You just answered your own question. That's what I was referring to when I said it's in courtrooms.

joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I think (aside from thanking the Gideons for it), it may be a hotel's strategy to attract customers, especially the Christians. As a Christian, I felt safe whenever I see or touch or read a Bible in a place away from home. Every time I'm on a business trip outside my country and stayed in hotels, I never missed to see and read a Bible in my hotel room. And sometimes, its not only the Bible that is there, I've see some other religious books too.

Pocs

Pocs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
When I was a little girl, I asked my mother about the bible in the rooms. She said " some people check into a hotel when they are at their lowest point. They feel alone, unwanted and unloved. The bibles were put their in the hopes, that these poor souls might find a way out of despair by reading the scriptures and looking to God for answers". Was it true, I couldn't tell you, I never bothered to find out. Her explanation was fine for me, and I still believe it til this day.

shawn

shawn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Are you kidding? LOL or do you actually STEAL hotel property? :o

Kina

Kina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have not seen a bible in a hotel room in awhile. I remember in my early 20s, when I used to stay in cheap rooms, there was at least one in a drawer somewhere. I always thought, why would someone want to be judged while on vacation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users