Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Have You Ever Burned Sage?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Anonamoss1

Anonamoss1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've read articles online about burning sage. Supposedly, one can light a sage stick, then trace their homes with it. They say that if you have a lot of smoke it means that you had a lot of negative energy in your home. Once the smoke clears, then your home is clear of negative energy and other things that can bring harm to you. I read some reviews online. People seemed to really believe that their homes felt better after the cleansing. I'm intrigued by this. If you've ever cleansed your home with sage please share your experience. Did you really feel a difference?

Nakhash

Nakhash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKentucky
I've don't it and felt a difference. Tension, doubts, anger among family, etc. all leave a bit of an imprint behind. Like fingermarks on a sliding glass door. Sometimes you just need to "clear the air" in more ways than one. Burning a sage stick helps it removing a lot of the residual negative energy.

I know it sounds hokey to some people. But think about the different feelings you get from entering different homes. Some feel light, friendly, warm and welcoming. Others can feel oppressive and dark. Almost stifling.

I find various house cleaning spells, most have smudging as part of the rituals, to be quite helpful when moving into a new apartment. People leave behind so much more than a dirty stove and bathtub.

Parker

Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
I have burned sage. I burned sage after a visit from a creepy relative. I don't like his energy and don't really want him in my space. My mom stopped by with him in tow. I told her the next time, I will not open the door.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." --Lao Tzu

spiritualone

spiritualone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I have not but Ive heard it can be very theraputic. I try not to expose myself to smoke though for health reasons.

Esperahol

Esperahol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You
Nope, even if I went in for that sort of thing... I have allergies and the smoke would most definitely screw with them. Of course, the more important thing is that I really just don't believe in this sort of thing.

gina121

gina121

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLondon
I had a bottle of meditation-space clearing spray that contained sage as one of the ingredients. The bottle just got empty, and I intend burning sage smudge sticks instead from now on.

livvi

livvi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I have also heard of burning sage for therapeutic reasons but never in the way mentioned in the OP! I find that intriguing and will watch this thread with interest to see if other people have their own experiences.

Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationNYC
I've heard of burning sage and seen it done on TV with cleansing houses of negative spirits/energy combined with prayer. I think it's a good thing. I would do it. The practice of burning sage is a little awkward but I see nothing wrong with getting rid of negative energy.

Nakhash

Nakhash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKentucky
There are some ways to keep bad intentions from entering your home. Once a month, wipe your doors (whichever guests enter through) with white vinegar. Take ground up red brick and sprinkle it outside across the entrance (I place it under the Welcome mat.)

For those who are bothered by smoke, you might try brewing a bit of sage in water, straining it and adding it to a spray bottle. Then just spritz it where needed. It should work like rain, as it clears the air of pollen and dust by attracting it to the drops and pulling it down to the ground. You might also mix some sage with baking soda, sprinkle your carpets and then vacuum it up.

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I've tried burning sage before and it didn't do anything. The smell really stinks to me, and I stopped using it after the first try. I'm not into lighting anything in my home because I fear I will burn the house down. I stay away from candels, insence, and sage. All of these things are not allowed in my house, and I don't really see the purpose in using them.

ChanellG

ChanellG

The devil's worst nightmare

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationU.S.
I have never burned sage before, but I do occasionally burn incense. I read somewhere that combining Jasmine and Rose incense was cleansing. I don't know if it is true or not, but I do like the smell and I feel good when I smell it. Maybe it's aromatherapy or maybe it's just pleasant, but I like it.

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. -- Oscar Wilde

FilmFan

FilmFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I have never heard of burning sage before.

While I can't say that smells and smoke may have supernatural properties to sense "energy," I think aromatherapy is a pretty interesting thing. Specifically, essential oils do all sorts of great things. My girlfriend told me how cleansing eucalyptus oil can be and that it literally cleans the air. Sure enough, the air does seem a lot cleaner, and it smells great!

Are there certain useful properties to sage similar to the eucalyptus example? I know herbs can be very healthy.

MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationOntario
I haven't done it, but honestly, I would. I do think it would feel therapeutic even just psychologically. If you at least believe it helps, it will probably make a difference. I just like the idea of cleansing a home.

writer811

writer811

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
A lot of Christian churches burn sage along with incense. Several of my colleagues did so when I was still with the church. I think that even if you don't believe sage has supernatural properties to cleanse negative energy and other such uses, it's still a good aromatherapy option. Almost everyone I know feels better after smelling burning sage.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA
I had a lady use sage to clean the space of my last school before I first opened it. I don't know the mechanism of how it works but it did give a "light" atmosphere to the place, and her channeled intention of purification certainly didn't hurt.

I've also had a Native American friend cleanse my living space in a similar manner. Again, it just somehow felt "better" afterwards - it isn't something I can scientifically figure out, but then I don't really feel the need to. :)
Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

ghanashyam

ghanashyam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
I have never heard a thing such as like this in India, though here we burn incense sticks to keep the bad spirits or negative currents out of the house. We have some persons doing some other thing like VASTU DOSH PUJA which they claim the negative currents to keep away from the house. I have very strong reservations about all these things.

FlipKup

FlipKup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationPallet Town

I haven't done it, but honestly, I would. I do think it would feel therapeutic even just psychologically. If you at least believe it helps, it will probably make a difference. I just like the idea of cleansing a home.

Same.

I do not need all the other effects that some say it has, I just want the therapeutic effects. People tend to believe that it can do other things - but I am not convinced. I would rather just burn it and watch it do its magic.

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It's believed that burning sage will ward off evil spirits, but I don't believe that at all. I'm sure it's something the store keeps around to make a quick sale. There wasn't anything that was good about it when I burned it. I've seen Shamans burning sage to rid people of evil spirits and clean their aura. There are people that say this works, but maybe they believe in it so much it has an effect on them.

jovan107

jovan107

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUnited States
I have burned a few things, but I have not burned sage. I only burn aromatic plants for relaxation and their scent, but I have never burned it for the reason stated in the initial post.

Anonamoss1

Anonamoss1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

It's believed that burning sage will ward off evil spirits, but I don't believe that at all. I'm sure it's something the store keeps around to make a quick sale. There wasn't anything that was good about it when I burned it. I've seen Shamans burning sage to rid people of evil spirits and clean their aura. There are people that say this works, but maybe they believe in it so much it has an effect on them.

Do you mean kind of like a placebo? That could be very true. I guess if you have real faith that the sage is doing something, then that "something" may occur. In this case cleansing the negative energy. This is easy to believe because you see the smoke and as the smoke clears you can really imagine the negative energy leaving with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)