Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Does God Interfere With Sporting Events?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I was watching the Little League World Series championship game today. A thought occurred to me that has occurred to me many times before when watching sports. Each team wants to win. Each player has done their best to get to the point that they are on that given day. Many will pray to their God before and during the game for assistance. After the win, some might say things "We had God on our side today."

But, when I think about it, each team (especially these talented Little Leaguers) is equally deserving. They're playing their hearts out and have put so much of themselves into it. They are all deserving of being winners.

Do you believe God takes sides in these matters? Or, is it just that one team was slightly better on that day or that the luck went their way a little more? If you believe in a God, do you believe your God interferes when it comes to sporting events?

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I'm not sure if a sporting event has to do with God. The players just say that to pay respect, but I don't think they mean it literally. I don't use prayer to win a game, I use it when there are trying times in my life. Real hardships and in times of struggling. I couldn't see God caring about a basketball or football game. Maybe I could be wrong, but just the thought of praying to win a game is beyond me.

Spudfyre

Spudfyre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
A broader comment I think is that I don't believe God micro-manages our lives. I believe God is more likely to give us paths or options of choice, and depending on our choices directs us to another choice of paths. I think God steps in when we fall off the path and tumble into the bramble bush and helps us get back on our feet again. So with sports, perhaps. Perhaps, that one sporting event, trivial to everyone else is someone's path to win.

FlipKup

FlipKup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationPallet Town
No, I doubt God would ever put his favour with one sports team or another.

That just wouldn't be equal.. or fair. I understand that some players will pray for the best, but I would speculate that these are prayers that go unanswered. It is selfish to assume that God will favour your team over another - even if you are a devout follower. Its like being family with judges in a pageant, you should not expect them to favour you because they have to be fair to other contestants.

writer811

writer811

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If there is a god, I think he has better things to do with his time than to give one team or another an unfair advantage in an event that has no meaning, religiously or practically.

taskeinc

taskeinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
I watched the game today as well, Japan vs Tennessee, that Japan team is pretty tough. Either way, love watching those little guys play ball. Great sportsmanship, excitement, you hate to see any team lose.

Japan vs TN, New York Yankees vs Boston, Democratic vs Republican, Liberal vs Conservative, Christian vs Muslim, Black vs White, none of it matters to the Divine Presence in the Universe. Those are all competitions and points of division, created by Man.

AmazingUniverse.info

Esperahol

Esperahol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You
No, but the Devil might if some sports curses are to be believed. That said if a tribe can be chosen, might a team be more worthwhile then another morally speaking? Or might a group simply have a greater level of faith then others? If so it could be possible, but that wouldn't seem fair to the average mortal.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

If there is a god, I think he has better things to do with his time than to give one team or another an unfair advantage in an event that has no meaning, religiously or practically.

Unless he's got a few quid riding on the ponies ...
Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

BarryLejieg

BarryLejieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I believe God knows everything, including our future, therefore knows the result of any game in any sport. Still, I don't believe that God interferes with such things as games, since they do not have any kind of significance.

I believe that God will give the sportsmen and sportswomen who believe in God the most strength to fight for the win. Those who pray and deserve the help achieving their goals God gives it to them, but only on individual bases.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

I believe God knows everything, including our future, therefore knows the result of any game in any sport. Still, I don't believe that God interferes with such things as games, since they do not have any kind of significance.

Obviously you've never been to Penn State ... :lol:

They don't see it as a game - they see it as determining the Future of Mankind.

I believe that God will give the sportsmen and sportswomen who believe in God the most strength to fight for the win. Those who pray and deserve the help achieving their goals God gives it to them, but only on individual bases.

If these games do not have any significance as you claimed earlier, then why would God waste his time doing this?

MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationOntario
I do not believe in God, but even if I did, I don't think he would pick a side. I'm sure both sides would have good, moral people playing and supporting them. I don't think it would be very fair for God to interfere.

HillbillyBone

HillbillyBone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
The winners write the history books so of course when you win and go to one knee you thank God. I think you should be thanking God for the natural talent you started with and the drive to improve yourself but not for letting the team win.

No one ever goes, "That friggin' God made us lose the Super Bowl today!"

writer811

writer811

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Unless he's got a few quid riding on the ponies ...

Ah but if he exists, isn't all the money technically his anyway?

stoopid_monkey51

stoopid_monkey51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I believe that people who are heavy into faith believe that God is with you all the time. During those times of struggle and mental anguish during a very physical sport you almost feel as if you are not even moving your body but it is being guided by someone or something else.

Many people believing that this guiding is represented as God in side them. What do you think?

FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Interesting thoughts. I would see no purpose in a God (or Gods) getting involved in a game. It seems more of a reason for the individual to either feeling they have done something wrong or that they have favor with God. Those who win might feel God answered their prayers while those who lost might feel God turned away from their prayers.

There are some who believe that things happen to teach us certain lessons. One person's win might be the reason for another person's loss in a way. Each in their way is learning some sort of spiritual lesson that takes them along their path. That would mean everything we do and say would have some sort of spiritual connotation. I am not sure I believe that but who knows.

Parker

Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
I don't think God is concerned with sporting events or even presidential campaigns. God isn't a micro manager.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." --Lao Tzu

joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I think the "winners" and "losers" were both man-made for the purpose of entertainment. And for me, in the eye's of God, there is no such thing as this. In the fight of "good" vs. "evil" though is a different story. A person who wins a game because of cheating would surely be the loser (evil) in God's eye. A person though who loses (but do his best without cheating - good) would surely be the winner. Now if both performs their best without any "evil" in their minds, then I would say God diffidently declares them both winners. But as humans, many of us think the other-way around.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

I believe that people who are heavy into faith believe that God is with you all the time. During those times of struggle and mental anguish during a very physical sport you almost feel as if you are not even moving your body but it is being guided by someone or something else.

Many people believing that this guiding is represented as God in side them. What do you think?

In Taijiquan you seek this level of performance - the ability to do a long, complicated and physically-demanding form with no effort and no mental exertion.

But this is accomplished through long training, not through Divine intervention.

Marchese

Marchese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
nope, I don't think god takes sides. I think our destiny is already written, and for those that pray before the game and then win....well.....then they believe god helped them... God helps us all. Maybe the team that didn't win that particular game needed to learn a lesson, or a challenge to overcome in the game...who knows. But I don't think he's sitting up in heaven with a bowl of popcorn, gloating because he chose whose gonna win....lol

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I beieve this to be true God can help you out of a rough time in your life. When people in sports pray to win it just seems like they miss the point of prayer. If I was playing sports I would pray that everyone is safe on the field, and to have a great game that's it. I wouldn't ask for winning the championship because it's the equivalent of asking to win the lottery. It's just disrespectful in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users