Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Concept Of Evil

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

difrancprod

difrancprod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I have a friend who doesn't believe that there is evil. For him it's something that we have created ourselves. I find it a little dangerous. What's your take on this one?

joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Just trying to create further discussion from your topic.

From a logical point of view.

- God is the creator of all things that exists.
- Evil exists.
- Therefore, it is logical to say that "God is the creator of evil.

Sounds logical, right?

But for me, there is a little problem about this logic.

Let's say "“Evil is a lack of goodness. You can have good without evil, but you cannot have evil without good". Therefore, evil is not a "thing" - but rather "something". When God created Adam and give him the gift of free-will, He also indirectly created evil. By giving him free-will, Adam will have the possibility to disobey God. Which he did and thus evil exists today. From this explanation it is not God who created "evil", but rather man itself.

gina121

gina121

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLondon
Evil, like kindness and love, is in our own mind and is self-created. Although some believe that there are evil forces (like Satan) out there who are responsible for "making us" indulge in evil acts, I feel this is just an excuse to shift blame on to an external entity. Some, unlike the majority, are more inclined to be evil. This can be attributed to influencing factors like personal circumstances and lack of exposure to acts of kindness.

halo27

halo27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I do agree with your friend in some ways. Evil is to an extent something which we have created ourselves. Jealousy and hate are 2 strong emotions which lead us to do many things evil. It could vary from petty things to murder. Not everyone is happy in seeing others happy and no matter how much we try to deny it or try to prove otherwise, this will always be a problem.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain
Evil is a choice, and as choice arises from free will, then therefore it follows that evil is man-made. One choice is good, another choice harms someone, and therefore it is evil. Evil also has consequences. The fall out from one evil deed can extend into further generations, and live on long after the original perpetrator. However, evil is not something that sneaks up on you in the night - it's a potential in all of us, which is why we should always take care when making decisions and reacting to others.
Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

claudine

claudine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
Like your friend, I don't believe that there is evil. I don't believe in the devil nor the hell. For me good and evil are relative and they' re both qualities, they exist only in relation to something. How this idea can be dangerous?

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

sute

sute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationEngland
It's really just a word we've invented to try and rationalise and justify events and actions we see as being unpleasant and disturbing. It helps the human mind deal with things if we create a reason and a logic to be thought of as the cause. The human mind does not like the idea of something traumatic happening 'just because'. So really the creation of concepts such as evil could be seen as a human coping method, much like many of the social ideas we have.

dbersales

dbersales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
If by evil you mean diabolical spirit entities whose only intent is to harm humanity through different guises, then I believe in the existence of evil. Not only me but so do countless individuals who unwittingly or otherwise have a direct contact to these entities. This is the problem with the Western world, so mired in the quicksand of materialism that it has been largely unaware of a shadowy dimension that co-exists with the physical plane of existence. And the fact that it is so shadowy and mysterious doesn't make it less real.

TNSabrina

TNSabrina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
I would definitely say I would not want to live in a world that thought murder (and other things) was not evil, while even at times may be justified. Evil by definition is not necessarily a religious term. Evil has many meanings, such as:
  • morally wrong or bad
  • causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful
  • characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering
  • due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character
  • marked by anger, irritability, irascibility
Evil is just a word that describes what our moral compass already knows is wrong.

stoopid_monkey51

stoopid_monkey51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I believe it is the opposite.

Here is a 'quote' but I am not sure if the story is 100% fact:

Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"
"God created everything? The professor asked.
"Yes sir", the student replied.
The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.
Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"
"Of course", replied the professor.
The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"
"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.
The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."
The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"
The professor responded, "Of course it does."
The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."
Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"
Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."
To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."
The professor sat down.
The young man's name — Albert Einstein.

I enjoy this quote because it gives a different perspective on the aspect of God and the whole good vs evil scenario. Maybe they aren't as equal as we thought.

Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationNYC
What makes your friend not believe in evil? Has he never had a bad experience in his life? Does he not watch the chaos in the world news nowadays? I wonder what his background entails?

Jester23

Jester23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I don't believe the concepts of good and evil, I believe in people being people, someone just acting differently than others. I say this because certain things are classed as good and certain things are classed as being evil. The fact that there can be a debate as to what is a good thing and what is a bad thing keeps me on edge as to why there is even a class at all if it can be seen differently to other people. What may be looked at as an evil act to you, may not be an evil act to me, and vice-versa. I don't class things as good or evil I class acts as what they are, punishments or rewards excluded.

Ich bin Gia

Ich bin Gia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I have a friend who doesn't believe that there is evil. For him it's something that we have created ourselves. I find it a little dangerous. What's your take on this one?

I think there is evil, yes. I also think that we have been given the choice to be good or evil to others and even ourselves. It is a personal choice if you want to create evil or invite evil into your life. Maybe your friend does not believe in evil because he does not allow it in his life.

brokenblade

brokenblade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
I personally believe that there is evil. I believe that which hurts others and not helps is evil. I believe murder is evil. I believe sexual abuse, rape, oppression, and other injustices are evil.

But then again, that is just me.

emunah73

emunah73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I believe it is the opposite.

Here is a 'quote' but I am not sure if the story is 100% fact:

(...)
I enjoy this quote because it gives a different perspective on the aspect of God and the whole good vs evil scenario. Maybe they aren't as equal as we thought.

I like this quote, maybe because Einstein was Jewish. ;) I would like to add my favorite quote: the most hidden secret of evil is that it doesn't exist. I can't find the source and the exact wording but I think my words convey the meaning well. Evil seems to have a lot of power in this world were in fact it has no power whatsoever and is nothing more than an illusion. Don't get me wrong: people suffer for real and bad things do happen, but to attribute them to any power is a distortion of the reality.

earthangel

earthangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I wonder what planet your friend is living on because from what I see there's evil all around us. What about all those people in jail killers, rapists, and drug dealers? Are these people good also? I guess they are, but they didn't choose that path in life. I'm sure everyone is capable of doing good, but only if you want to do so. Evil is everywhere on the TV, radio, and it's in the movies. I like to think there isn't any evil, but that's just not the truth. I have friends that don't believe there is a devil or hell. Those people who don't believe in evil are being decieved, and there's nothing to snap them out of the spell.

taskeinc

taskeinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

I like the way the young student broke it down to the professor as well. However, Albert Einstein never bought into the Christian myth, he was way too smart for that. The debate between Einstein and his professor really has very little to do with Christianity. Furthermore, if you seriously and objectively look at the history of Christianity it is evil personified.

AmazingUniverse.info

nightarcher

nightarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If human beings were perfect, there would most likely be no evil in the world. So, I agree with him for the most part. I do believe, however, that evil itself is not tied to just us as humans, and that it is something more.

nash22

nash22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I think evil is universal in a way, it's an active force. And I do believe that there are some people who are evil. Most try to be good but fail at times.

difrancprod

difrancprod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

What makes your friend not believe in evil? Has he never had a bad experience in his life? Does he not watch the chaos in the world news nowadays? I wonder what his background entails?

According to him, evil is something that our minds have all made up. But he's a person with morals and he believes in kindness and all that stuff. I'm just really puzzled why the concept of evil is deleted in his belief and based on the replies of this thread, he is not the only one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users