Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Can You Become Jewish?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Sea81

Sea81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I've heard so many different ideas about people converting to Judaism. Some say it's rigorous but possible; others say no way, you have to be born into it.

I'm just curious what any of you think. Do Jewish people see it differently from non-Jewish people? Thanks!

CinnamonBear

CinnamonBear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Unlike Christianity, Judaism doesn't encourage "proseletizing," or converting people to its faith. More than a religion, Judaism is a way of life.

In Reform Judaism, you're welcome to study and take classes in Judaism, and you're welcome to join and embrace Judaism as your faith. However, converts are never actively sought.

emunah73

emunah73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
There are some Jewish people who will never accept converts. The Syrian community for instance. Many people also look at converts with suspicion and sadly they have a reason for it, because there were many insincere converts who were trying to use religion for their personal gain and then made a mockery of it. In Orthodox Judaism conversion is a long process but it's definitely doable. It just needs to be done for valid reasons not for marriage for instance. When a person is sincere I think she/he has no major problems with being accepted because other people can see this sincerity. And you don't have to care about those who don't accept converts no matter what.

Nakhash

Nakhash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKentucky
Also, people forget that there have been many conversions to Judaism mentioned in the Tanakh/Bible. One of the best-known is Ruth. She leaves all she knows in her homeland to go with her mother-in-law Naomi, telling her, "...your people will be my people, and your G-d will be my G-d."

unarmedthinker

unarmedthinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts
I am non-Jewish but I known a few Jewish people in the past. I used to talk to a girl from Israel, she was not very religious but she told me you cannot become a Jew, you are born a Jew. She told me that Jewish converts are not accepted by the Jewish community, they are not viewed as 'real' Jews. Now she might be wrong but she lives in Israel - the Jewish nation, I trust her opinion on this subject.

SifuPhil

SifuPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA
Sammy Davis Jr. accomplished it, but I'm not sure how he handled the bris ...

I am non-Jewish but I known a few Jewish people in the past. I used to talk to a girl from Israel, she was not very religious but she told me you cannot become a Jew, you are born a Jew. She told me that Jewish converts are not accepted by the Jewish community, they are not viewed as 'real' Jews. Now she might be wrong but she lives in Israel - the Jewish nation, I trust her opinion on this subject. ]

I wonder if there is some mixing of the concepts of nationality and religion going on in cases like this. Most Catholics cannot point to a single country where their nationalities began - most of us are mixed. But the Jews have Israel to claim as their country, and it just so happens that it's also the power-base of their religion.
Philstivus.com - a cult for non-cultists and one long holiday for odd people

MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVirtual World

she was not very religious but she told me you cannot become a Jew, you are born a Jew

This is a curious fact because since I can remember I have been close to people or reading that mention individual who supposedly convert to Judaism in order to marry a Jew.

Whether possible or not, I don't understand how someone may pretend to convert to another religious just to satisfy personal demands and not with the conviction of a believer willing to serve his or her new religion.

LevelPlatForum, bringing your life up to a new level!

tommymac

tommymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
Many jews believe that if you're not jewish by birth, you're simply not jewish.

Nakhash

Nakhash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKentucky
There are some Jews that don't accept that someone can be Jewish other than by birth. But I think people are confusing being Jewish with following Judaism. They think it's like asking can you convert to Chinese. But they're wrong. We're supposed to look up to the convert because he or she made the choice to bear the burden of being Jewish.

I wouldn't be more accepting of what the Israeli girl said simply because she's from Israel. The question of "who is a Jew" is more political and has to do with being allowed to immigrate there. Some who feel that way are not accepting of recent immigrants from Africa and

Jatelo2

Jatelo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Unlike Christianity, Judaism doesn't encourage "proseletizing," or converting people to its faith. More than a religion, Judaism is a way of life.

In Reform Judaism, you're welcome to study and take classes in Judaism, and you're welcome to join and embrace Judaism as your faith. However, converts are never actively sought.

This doesn't strike me as true..Simply say that you do not seek non-Jewish but proselytizing among Jews is rampant!

Read an objective article on christian fastting and more about radical muslems at topratedtips (dot) com.

Sea81

Sea81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the insightful responses! I was dating a Jewish guy, and honestly thought about going through the process to convert, but I didn't think his parents would accept me. For some reason, I've always been fascinated by Judaism, but in the end I decided I should not make that leap.

ErnestDalbero

ErnestDalbero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have you seen the movie "The Big Lebowsky"? In that movie there's a character who converted to Judaism. So yes, it is possible. However Judaism does not encourage proselitism, its a religion that's pretty closed in itself.

bsge11

bsge11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't think you have to be born into a specific religion. You should be able to choose your own faith and practice it as well. Don't all religions welcome all types of people in their inner-circle?

Bloom

Bloom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Judaism is slightly different. As others have mentioned, Judaism is a way of life. It's something that you are by birth. Yes, you do have a choice to be a Christian, a Buddhist, or more. But by blood, faith, and culture, you're a Jew. As a Conservative Jew, I believe that you must be born Jewish in order for you to call yourself a Jew. However, if you do convert, it's more realistic in men than women.

While a man adapts into the culture and learn the ways of the Jewish life, a woman is considered a bit more sacred. It is believed that the future of a child held by the woman will depict the religion. If the woman was converted from another religion to Judaism, the baby is not Jewish. As mentioned many times in the Tanakh, the women are connected with G-d through fertility.

brokenblade

brokenblade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
You can definitely be converted into Judaism. There are a lot of people that have converted. While the majority of Jews are actually born as Jews (Jews are also a nationality from what I hear), you can still become one if you are really interested.

Kjordo711

Kjordo711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think Judaism has been a way of life for me. I think that converting is possible, but it would require to change your way of life. Judaism has always been more than a faith, it changes your life.

ghanashyam

ghanashyam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

No, I wish not to convert to Judaism. What is the point ? Additionally, I agree that converts are not taken very seriously in any religion. i sincerely believe the religions are only the different languages in which the  TRUTH was told.

emilyallen133

emilyallen133

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

I have known two different jewish familys and no from what I know you can't really convert to being a jew its a family thing. One family was from Israel and the other was from the UK. They never preached there faith or made it accessible to others. 

My next question from this is can people who are born Jewish leave there faith? Neither of the familys I knew ever did and its a question I dont really like asking people. 

elizabethraine

elizabethraine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You can very definitely become Jewish. I recently started pursuing conversion, and many people I have met have been very accepting and welcoming, and often people offer to help me, answer questions, even invite me to dinner as soon as they meet me.

But I think what you would find if you wanted to convert, or if you were confused about people you know who converted, would be that there are multiple forms of Judaism with different rules- Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox, with divisions even within that. My Orthodox friends have explained to me that they do not often consider other forms of conversion valid because it comes down to these things:what you swear to do in terms of following commandments at your conversion and what you interpret as following or not following the commandments. It's complicated, and converting also takes a very long time, but it isn't impossible.

Caesar Saladin

Caesar Saladin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

This is all from the viewpoint of a non-Jew (but maybe not for long), so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

You can convert to Judaism under the auspices of any one of the major denominaitons, provided you meet the specific requirements of that denomination. That much is already known, and is not in dispute.

Once you convert to Judaism, you are Jewish- period. HOWEVER, that applies in a broader religious sense, but in the sense that you undergo some magical transformation to alter your specific bloodline. You are, for all practical purposes, Jewish and part of 'the tribe' but you do not have or gain an automatic Jewish 'racial history'.

To some who are already Jews, your membership in 'the tribe' may be enough for full acceptance. To others, you may have the full benefit and rights of a Jew, yet to them you'll always be 'the convert' (and that in itself may be seen as a good thing or a bad thing; it's all about the person's perception of you.)

Is that pretty accurate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users