Welcome to Faithology Religion Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Has Anyone Ever Heard Someone Whisper Your Name?

whisper quiet name

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

td007

td007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Guys,

Last night(well, EARLY this morning) before going to bed, I heard someone whisper my name. I don't know if I heard because I was tired and kind of out of it, or if I really heard something. I've been feeling depressed lately because I've been out of college for 8 months, and I have no job yet. It seems like people around me are getting jobs left and right, but I have a college degree and I can't get anything.

Was this a whisper to get my attention so I can stop worrying? I called my mom and told her about, and she said back in her day that it means the spirit is calling you and wants to take you. She didn't want to talk about it anymore, I guessed it scared her. Has anyone else ever heard a whisper of their name?

AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Yes, I have. Sometimes I hear my name whispered and I look around thinking someone has called me, but no one is there or no one around me has said anything. Honestly, I brush it off most of the time thinking I just heard something that sounded like my name. But then there are times when I least expect it and there it is, a whisper of my name. I believe it might be the Spirit of the Lord trying to get my attention and focus back on the Lord. I have a tendency to worry a lot as well and get myself into a real "woe is me" kind of stage. This is when I hear the whisper and it does freak me out, but it also grabs my attention and totally changes the directions of my thoughts.

Don't worry about it. If you hear the whisper again, do as the prophet Samuel did, and ask the Lord if He is speaking to you and what does He want from you. Keep your thoughts on Him. Stop worrying and instead focus that energy on thinking positively (you graduated from college...that is huge!) and seeking God's direction in prayer. There's a reason you haven't found a job yet. Obviously the right one hasn't come along yet, but are you looking in the right place? In the right field? I found a job not too long after college, but it wasn't anything close to what I went to college for. I was surprised, but it was where God wanted me at the time, which has led me back into my field of study. Could be the same for you :)

R. Paradon

R. Paradon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationThailand
I have not had that experience but I think that it may have been from God or a good spirit. Sometimes just a reminder that we are not alone (even thought we may think we are) provides a sense of well being. I have to disagree with your mom (no disrespect) but if it is time for us to leave this life I don't think we will be called by a whisper but will just be taken by a higher spirit to where we are going.
If I make one person smile or feel better every day then I have done my job as a human.

joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Hi Guys,

Last night(well, EARLY this morning) before going to bed, I heard someone whisper my name. I don't know if I heard because I was tired and kind of out of it, or if I really heard something. I've been feeling depressed lately because I've been out of college for 8 months, and I have no job yet. It seems like people around me are getting jobs left and right, but I have a college degree and I can't get anything.

Was this a whisper to get my attention so I can stop worrying? I called my mom and told her about, and she said back in her day that it means the spirit is calling you and wants to take you. She didn't want to talk about it anymore, I guessed it scared her. Has anyone else ever heard a whisper of their name?

Though I haven't experience it myself, other than other people really are whispering my name (especially at my back). I would still like to make comment based on your post.

I think its the devil's voice you heard whispering to you. Simply because, the devil performs better when we are at the lowest point of our life (in your case - you are depressed). People who are depressed are likely to be tempted by the devil. And maybe, you taught is as God. If I were you, I would better leave the depression behind and take this as a challenge to find a new job. And don't forget to look for God's guidance and wisdom.

Krissytin

Krissytin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Well with what joeldgreat said, they did make some good points, although I do not think it is that easy to just change and be happy with life. Furthur more I think it was either a spirit that's probably trying to get your attention. Probably it wants you to stay focus or comfort you during a hard time in your life. Yes, I have heard voice before and they gave me guidance, and no they did not guide me on a negative path.

Esperahol

Esperahol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You
You shouldn't respond to voices you can't see. It may be something benevolent, but it could also be something malevolent (like a psychosis). If the voice comes again then listen, but do not act upon its words and do not respond in kind.

gina121

gina121

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLondon

I have not had that experience but I think that it may have been from God or a good spirit. Sometimes just a reminder that we are not alone (even thought we may think we are) provides a sense of well being. I have to disagree with your mom (no disrespect) but if it is time for us to leave this life I don't think we will be called by a whisper but will just be taken by a higher spirit to where we are going.

Agree with this. My thoughts on this are the same. I like your sig too, Paradon.

Regi

Regi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Locationmountain top
I've had this experience when I was lying in bed going to sleep, wheather it was because i was halfway asleep or not I don't know. But I heard someone (a female) with a soft voice call my name right to my ear and it gave me a jolt, I sat bolt upright in bed and tried to determine where it came from. I've never heard it since but it does come to my mind often and it makes me wonder about spirits and another world within a world type of thing.

Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationSpain
Yes, I've heard this on numerous occasions. It's always seemed to be either a warning - by turning to see where the noise has come from, I've missed bumping into something, or maybe I've been losing my concentration while driving, and it's brought me back on track - or an assurance. If I've been lying awake worrying about something, I've heard this whisper, and then I've been able to go to sleep. From my experience, I'd say it was something good, so I have to agree with Richard Paradon on this one - I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Want to read what I write about? Go to http://http://www.he...om/users/303964 My Helium Home Page

jovan107

jovan107

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Wow, I thought this was a rarity, but my mom always advises me to never respond when my name is whispered and no one is there. However, whenever this occurs I do not pay it much attention.

nightarcher

nightarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This is pretty strange. I very rarely hear someone call my name like you describe, but it's usually a voice I recognize. One time when I was little I thought I heard my mom call my name and then when I answered she had no idea what I was talking about and said that she never called me. I think this happened with my father as well.

nash22

nash22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

This is pretty strange. I very rarely hear someone call my name like you describe, but it's usually a voice I recognize. One time when I was little I thought I heard my mom call my name and then when I answered she had no idea what I was talking about and said that she never called me. I think this happened with my father as well.

This happens to me also, I will drop everything and run in the room and I will be like "did you call me" and they would look at me crazy and say I have no idea what you are talking about. I thought I was the only one who goes through this. Maybe it's all in our heads or something, it's very strange though.

samfaye

samfaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
This happens to me occasionally these days, but it happened much more in the past. I am a recovering drug addict, and in the depths of my addiction I would be bothered at night by the screaming of my name, right as I was drifting to sleep. It's easy to think it was "the drugs talking", but I feel like something a little more dark was at work. It's only happened very occasionally since then, when I'm extremely tired, and it's more of a gentle whisper. Sure, maybe it's just our tired (or in my previous case, intoxicated) mind, but I'm not satisfied with such a simple answer.

Amalia

Amalia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Hi Guys,

I've never heard someone whispering my name, but I do empathise with you. I also have a college degree and no job. I know how hard it is. I think it was stress in your case. The human mind can play us tricks when we're tired or stressed.

MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVirtual World
I have heard sometimes that someone whispers my name, or says something that sometimes is incomprehensible or sometimes is a word, name or something that makes me ask, "what you said?" in the belief that someone next to me -- physically speaking -- have said something.

However while I'm convinced these voices may come from spiritual beings, it's not truth that they are spirits coming after anyone to take him or her with them.

Voices may come from a loved one that passed away an for a reason is around your for a moment, but there are many testimonial of people who have heard voices from angels or protector spirits wanting to let us know that they are near.

LevelPlatForum, bringing your life up to a new level!

Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh

Just a happy wanderer in cyber space.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationThailand
No, I haven't experienced this yet. Once, I had an accident and I was totally knocked out for many hours. When I awoke, my wife was by my bedside. Maybe I regained consciousness because she was calling my name.

Dragonessnix

Dragonessnix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Hi Guys,

I have heard my name being whispered sometimes. Not sure about spirits coming to take you away. Maybe it is God reassuring you that He is there and to put your worry on him. Also if you were really tired it could be your mind playing tricks on you.

Hope you find a job soon, don't give up God has a plan for you.
Robin M Hoopes

vpresson

vpresson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I have had that happen to me million of times. I can be sitting on my computer and i swear i hear my name and i look and no one is there it's usually when it's quiet and i'm alone. And usually when i have a lot on my mind or am going through a rough time is when i hear it.

universallove

universallove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Shortly after my grandmother had died I had heard my name whispered when I was trying to go to sleep. The whisper sounded like my grandmother and it didn't scare me, it comforted me. I missed her so it just felt like a comforting "i'm still here" moment.

catmama

catmama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlabama
I'm so glad you asked this question! I have often experienced this - like you and others when near asleep. I've never discussed it with anyone because I don't want to be 'that girl that hears voices'. I have heard others say they thought it was a spirit of some kind or another, but never heard of it meaning the spirit wanted to take you.

I really like the idea of it being a “reminder that we are not alone" because this has usually happened to me at times when I am struggling with stress or depression. It usually jolts me awake, but never with a sense of fear or worry. When I was younger and living at home I would check my parent's and sibling's bedrooms thinking they may have called me or maybe they were in some sort of danger, but it was never from them. Nothing bad, or obviously good, has come from these whisperings for me personally. I would not worry about it or be afraid it was some sort of bad sign.

I take it as sign, either from a spirit or my own subconscious, that I need to relax, to stop worrying so much, to find peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users